Clean Marine Program
The Oakville Harbours Marina is an associate member of the Ontario Marine Operators Association (OMOA). The OMOA, along with over 20 marine industry professionals and anglers' associations, formed the Clean Marine Partnership to develop a voluntary program of environmental best practices for the marine industry, which is recognized as the leader in North America.
In its last audit in June 2012, the Oakville Harbours received 5 Green Leaf Anchor Diamond, making it the first municipal marina in Ontario to achieve this rating. Many environmental initiatives have been implemented since its previous audit in 2009. Significant improvements were made to the areas of:
- Promoting good environmental practices
- Implementing the town's Towards Zero Waste Policy
- Eliminating the release of contaminants to the water, both directly and indirectly
- Minimize the release of pollutants to the atmosphere
- Avoid contamination of the ground
- Implementing an extensive recycling program for Harbour related materials
- Optimize energy and water conservation
- Conform to the requirements of all relevant legislation
The Town of Oakville ensures that our Harbours' management introduces sound environmental practices into every aspect of our operations. Staff are trained to understand and implement these practices and provide the resources, within the discretion of Council, that are needed to allow these objectives to be fulfilled. The philosophy of this Clean Marine Declaration are integrated into contracts entered between the Town of Oakville and our clients in the Harbours.
Look for products with Canada's Environmental Choice Ecologo to use around your boat. Products bearing the symbol below have been produced in a more environmentally responsible manner and their use leaves the least impact on the environment.
All suppliers and contractors will be made aware of the intent of this declaration and will be required to adopt these same practices when providing materials or services in any Oakville harbour.