Partners for Climate Protection
The Partners for Climate Change Protection (PCP) Milestone Program supports municipal government commitments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) at the corporate and community level. Currently, 194 municipalities across Canada have committed themselves to achieving the five milestones of the PCP and approximately 700 additional communities around the world have committed to ICLEI’s Cities for Climate Protection (CCP).
The Town of Oakville is a member of both ICLEI-Local Governments of Sustainability (formerly the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives) and the PCP program. In Canada, the PCP program is administered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM).
The Five Milestones of the PCP are:
- Complete an emissions inventory and forecast
- Set a reduction target
- Develop a local action plan
- Implement the local action plan
- Measure progress and report results
The town has completed milestones 1, 2 and 3, and has a GHG emissions target for corporate operations of 20 per cent below 2004 levels by 2014 and a community target of six per cent below 2004 levels by 2014.
Related documents and staff reports detailing the town's participation in the PCP program are available below.
- Milestone 1 and 2 GHG Emissions Inventory and Reduction Target (pdf, 1.46 MB)
- Milestone 3 Corporate Local Action Plan (pdf, 4.99 MB)
- Milestone 3 Community Energy Plan (Appendix D) (pdf, 2.27 MB)
- May 2004 Oakville's Participation in Partners for Climate Protection (pdf, 310 kB)
- January 2010 Energy Management and Partners for Climate Protection (pdf, 5.66 MB)
- May 2010 Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Options Report (pdf, 794 kB)
- June 2011 Partners for Climate Protection Update Report (pdf, 766 kB)