Stormwater Master Plan
Planning ahead so that Oakville is always rain ready!
For fifty years, the town has had a stormwater system in place—and we’ve made a lot of progress! To build on this progress and ensure a long-term vision for stormwater management, we are developing a Stormwater Master Plan called Be rain ready.
This plan is especially essential because there has been an increase in extreme rain in Southwestern Ontario. To protect residents from flooding while also preserving our natural environment, the master plan will help guide us towards a rain ready Oakville:
- The town will have immediate and long-term action steps to continually enhance our approach to stormwater management and address climate change issues.
- Oakville residents will have important tips for how to reduce the risk of flooding on their property.
This project will be rolled out in three phases:
- Phase 1 (completed in 2015): Assessed the condition of the existing stormwater system and collected background data
- Phase 2 (now underway): Assessing the performance of the existing stormwater system to identify opportunities to decrease flood risk
- Phase 3 (Summer of 2017): Developing and assessing funding strategies to implement the plan
So what’s the plan for developing the plan?
The most important part of developing the plan is you! We are currently working on Phase 2 of the plan where we are assessing how the town currently manages stormwater to identify gaps and opportunities so that as the town grows and the climate changes, we will be rain ready!
We would like to incorporate your advice and ideas.
An open house was held on June 23, 2016 at Town Hall where attendees participated learned about stormwater management in the Town of Oakville and shared their thoughts and ideas about stormwater and drainage in their neighbourhood. Additional public meetings will be held in this coming fall 2016.
Review the June 23 open house material (pdf, 7.4 MB)
Please complete our online questionnaire and share your thoughts and ideas about stormwater and drainage.
We continue to seek input and feedback, please email your questions or comments to:
Water Resources Engineer
905-845-6601 ext. 3889
We’ll keep you informed — be sure to check back!
For details on the town’s stormwater management visit our Stormwater Management page.