Water Sustainability Plan
The town in partnership with the Ministry of the Environment (MOE), Halton Region, Conservation Halton and the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative is engaged in innovative work to support the development of a long term Water Sustainability Plan (WSP). The WSP will integrate planning and management strategies to conserve and strategically manage water and minimize the discharge of pollutants to area waterways and Lake Ontario.
A WSP will be required under the Ontario Water Opportunities Act when regulations are drafted.
Water Sustainability Plan objectives:
- Identify existing water management initiatives
- Identify issues, barriers, gaps and opportunities for the development of a WSP
- Create a framework (road map) which will enable municipal governments to develop a WSP
Water sustainability plans will help municipalities to:
- Consider end-to-end solutions
- Address potential governance issues for delivering and managing municipal water, wastewater and stormwater services
- Achieve improved environmental performance in water conservation and pollution reduction
- Consider the cumulative impacts on the watershed for water quality and quantity
- Identify opportunities for cost savings through water conservation, efficiency and re-use.