Cemeteries Rates & Services
Policies and regulations
The Town of Oakville is licensed to own a cemetery under the provisions of the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, License No. 3274886. The Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, departmental policies and procedures and the cemetery by-law regulate the operation, maintenance and administration of town-owned cemeteries. Within the cemetery by-law are also regulations concerning dimensions of markers and monuments, hours of operation, allowances for flowers and other information regarding governance.
To review the Cemeteries By-law 2012-011 and any amendments to the by-law please visit our by-law search page and enter 2012-011 in the search field.
For detailed information, please review the 2014 Price List (pdf, 812 kB) for Trafalgar Lawn Cemetery and inactive (pioneer) cemeteries. The price list includes the information below, as well as further details on memorials, markers and installation, disinterment and other supplies and services.
Effective January 1, 2014
All prices are subject to applicable taxes.
Purchase of lots
Lots where upright or pillow markers are allowed:
- Single Adult Lot $4,175
- Single Adult Lot at St.Jude's Cemetery $5,681
- Single Child Lot $512.50
Lots where only flat markers are allowed:
- Single Adult Lots $2,859
- Single Child Lots $412.50
Purchase of cremated remains lots
Lots where upright or pillow markers are allowed
- Two urns $2,896
- Two urns at St.Jude's Cemetery $3,125
- Four urns at Trafalgar Lawn Cemetery $3,125
Lots where only flat markers are allowed
- Two urns $1,824
- Two urns at St.Jude's Cemetery (Lower Section) $1,824
- Two urns at St. Jude's Cemetery (Pioneer Section) $5,000
(Available only at Trafalgar Lawn and St. Jude's Cemeteries)
- Eye Level Niche (two urns) $3,624
- Ground Level Niche (two urns) $3,159
(Available only at Trafalgar Lawn Cemetery)
- Scattering Rights including marker rights $300.40
Interment and scattering right purchases include required contribution to care and maintenance.
Interment services (opening and closing)
- In-ground burial of an adult to single depth $1,029*
- In-ground burial of an adult to double depth $1,239*
- In-ground burial of a child $516.50*
- In-ground burial of an infant $265.60*
- In-ground burial of cremated human remains $538.50
- Columbarium niche interment of cremated human remains $334
- Memorial Woods placement of cremated human remains $248.80
- Cremated remains placed in casket with adult burial $115.50
- Pond scattering $86.10*
- Use of lowering device and lot dressing $122.55
- Late hour interment (arrival in cemetery after 3 p.m.) $225
- Winter burial $113.40
- Saturday burial $367.50
- Sunday burial $815.40
- Designated holiday burial (dates as listed below) $538**
* price includes $10 registration fee
New Year's Day (January 1, 2014) - cemetery closed to burials
Family Day (February 17, 2014)
Good Friday (April 18, 2014)
Easter Monday (April 21, 2014)
Victoria Day (May 19, 2014)
Canada Day (July 1, 2014)
Civic Holiday (August 4, 2014)
Labour Day (September 1, 2014)
Thanksgiving (October 13, 2014)
Christmas Eve Day (Dec 24, 2014) - designated holiday beginning at 11 a.m.
Christmas Day (December 25, 2014) - cemetery closed to burials
Boxing Day (December 26, 2014) - cemetery closed to burials
New Year's Day (January 1, 2015) - cemetery closed to burials
For more information contact ServiceOakville
Cemeteries direct fax: 905-338-4188
Services and programs
The Cemeteries staff works hard to provide highly sensitive and special care and understanding of client needs including:
- sales of interment rights and other services attendant to those rights
- interment services including the opening and closing of lots
- dressing the site for the commemorative service
- sodding and periodic re-grading of the site after the burial
- ensuring compliance with cemetery by-laws
Interments and plot maintenance
The Town of Oakville offers additional services including interments, setting of flat markers, vase assemblies and foundation for upright monuments (see cemetery rates for fees). Care and maintenance for each site is included in the fees for a cemetery lot. This includes seeding and re-seeding of plots and lot surfaces, seasonal cutting of grass and weeds, snow removal and other maintenance to uphold the peaceful appearance of the cemetery.
A columbarium for cremated remains is also available. The columbarium is an above-ground structure with niches that can receive up to two cremated remains adorned with a family memorial. The Memorial Woods, located at the Trafalgar Lawn Cemetery, is designed as a lower cost option for non-recoverable placement of cremated remains. A central cairn is prominently placed within the garden area with a memorial to commemorate loved ones and serves as a focal point for remembrance.
Bronze memorials and wreaths
Bronze memorials may be purchased through the Town of Oakville and are mounted on a base set flush with the ground. Bronze vase assemblies, vigil lamps and memorial wreaths are also available through the Cemetery Services office at 905-338-4236. Water for flowers is available from early June to late October.
Memorial Tree Program
Through the Town of Oakville's Memorial Tree Program trees can be purchased or adopted in memory of a loved one, to dedicate to a friend or family member, or to commemorate a special event. The gift of a tree is a lasting tribute, and will benefit the community as a whole by enhancing our natural environment. Town staff will select an appropriate new tree for the chosen location, or identify an appropriate tree for adoption based on the location and health of the available trees in the requested park or cemetery. The new or adopted memorial tree will be looked after by town staff in the same manner as other park trees. Find out more about the Memorial Tree Program.
The Cemetery Office receives many requests to perform genealogical searches for family members and friends. Within the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act, staff can search through old cemetery archives to provide as much information as may be possible to the person making the request. Depending upon the amount of research involved, there may be a cost. Appointments can also be made to view the records on your own at the office. Check out other resources of genealogical information.