Tax FAQs

How are properties assessed?

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for placing an assessment value on all property in Ontario.

Assessment-related inquiries should be directed to MPAC (1-866-296-6722). The town has no jurisdiction over assessment and is unable to set or change assessment values.

What if I disagree with my assessment value?

The value assigned to your property is set for 2012. However, you may appeal your 2014 assessment value before March 31, 2014. Properties in the residential and farm classes must submit a Request for Reconsideration (RfR) directed to MPAC. There is no cost to filing an RfR. For property owners in other tax classifications, filing an RfR is not mandatory. 

How is my property tax calculated?

Using the assessment values as determined by MPAC, the town calculates applicable tax rates and issues tax bills (assessed value x tax rate = annual tax dollars).

What if my property tax payment is late?

Payment must be received on or prior to the due date to avoid penalty and interest, charged at 1.25 per cent monthly, applied on the first day of each month of default. Late payment charges are set in accordance with current legislation and cannot be waived.

Can I set up pre-authorized tax payments?

Yes. You can set up four, nine and 12-month instalment plans. Open the Application for Pre-authorized Payment Plans (PAP) (pdf, 39 kB) or call a service representative for more information. There is no cost to enrol in a pre-authorized tax payment plan.

Please note that pre-authorized payment plans are not transferable when moving within the town. To change banking information or cancel a pre-authorized payment plan, please provide two weeks' notice prior to the last working day of the month in which the change is required.

What if my address and/or ownership changes?

If your mailing address or the ownership of the property is changing, please complete the Notice of Ownership Change (pdf, 32 kB) and/or Notice of Mailing Address Change (pdf, 32.2 kB) to ensure the title change is reflected on the town's records.

Do you have a tax program to assist seniors and/or disabled property owners?

An annual tax rebate of $500 is provided by the town to eligible senior property owners whose combined household income did not exceed $27,021.00 in 2013. Additionally, an interest-free tax deferral program for year-over-year tax increases is available to eligible seniors and/or disabled property owners whose annual combined household income did not exceed $41,300 in 2012. The program is authorized by the region and administered by the town. Other restrictions are contained in the by-laws covering these programs. Please contact the Oakville Tax Office at 905-338-4222 or for more information.

How do I apply for a vacancy tax rebate?

If you are a commercial or industrial property owner with a unit(s) that has been vacant for at least three consecutive months, download and submit the Application for Commercial and Industrial Vacancy Rebate of Property Taxes (pdf, 58 kB). The deadline to apply is February 28 annually for the previous year.

How do I apply for a tax rebate for registered charities?

If you are a registered charitable organization renting space in a commercial or industrial property, download and submit the Application for Registered Charity Rebate Program (pdf, 23 kB). The deadline for submitting an application is February 28 of the year following the taxation year to which the application relates.

top of page