The Town of Oakville Fire Department offers fire safety programs on various topics for all age groups.
Fire safety presentations
Aimed at adult audiences, these fire safety presentations cover fire-safe practices in the home and/or workplace. Examples of adult audiences would include: church groups, seniors groups, condominiums, workplace, homecare providers, prenatal classes, etc.
Pre-school to grade three presentations
This very popular presentation assists in addressing the community helper section of the school curriculum. A fire truck and crew can be scheduled for a short visit to your school. Topics covered will include:
- Firefighters will talk to the children about fire safety
- Demonstrate some of the gear they use during an emergency
Grade four fire safety presentations
Fire safety is taught using a specially designed presentation with short movies. Homework is assigned to involve children's families and caregivers. Topics covered will include:
- What is fire safety?
- Smoke alarms
- Home fire escape planning
- How to call for help; 9-1-1
- How to prepare for an emergency
- Making positive choices when it comes to fire
Fire safety home visits
Crews visit homes in Oakville neighbourhoods through the months of May to July, between 5 and 8 p.m. If homeowners are not present, fire safety information is left in the mailbox.
Fire drills in the workplace
Plan and practise fire drills your employees will want to participate in. Fire drills are just as important in the workplace as they are at home.
- Put together a safety committee of people from different departments
- Appoint team leaders responsible for counting employees
- Leave through designated fire exits
- Predetermine outside gathering spots that are a safe distance from the building
- Practise scheduled drills — aim to get your exit times down to less than 3 to 5 minutes
For more information on planning a fire drill in your workplace contact the Oakville Fire department's public education officer.
Fire extinguisher training
Offered at your location or our training campus from late spring to early fall, this program includes a 45 minutes class lecture and a 30 minute hands on practical component. Topics covered include:
- Fire and life safety
- Practice extinguishing a variety of fires using our fire extinguisher simulator
Also offered is a fully indoor program with an electronic simulator which is offered on a year-round basis. Schedule fire extinguisher training for your business or group of 15 to 20 people. A per person fee applies for the programs with a certificate issued upon completion.
Arson prevention program
If your child (3-17 years old) is involved with fire play or fire setting, an education officer will visit your home to assist with education and to ensure your home is fire safe. This program may contain a mental health component. Topics covered will include:
- Consequences of fire setting for the individual and the community
- Legal consequences of fire setting
- How quickly fires develop and spread
- Smoke alarms
- Home escape planning
- Factors that influence choices we make and risk behaviours
- Think twice act once; making good decisions
Have you experienced a fire in your home or business? Firefighters will review what led to your fire and advise you on the steps you can take to avoid future emergencies.
For more information or to place a booking contact:
Phone: 905-845-6601, ext. 2008