To determine if a career in firefighting is right for you, please review the Job Profile and Responsibilities page.
The Town of Oakville's 2014 Probationary Firefighter posting is now closed.
The town has partnered with Firefighter Recruitment Services of Canada to assist with this recruitment. Applicants with questions should contact Firefighter Recruitment Services of Canada directly. They can be reached by:
- Telephone at 1-877-757-FIRE (3473)
- Email at email@example.com
- Firefighter Recruitment Services of Canada website
We acknowledge the time and effort spent by each applicant in pursuit of a career as a firefighter. The Town of Oakville's 2014 Probationary Firefighter recruitment process is available on the Firefighter Recruitment Services of Canada website.
The Town of Oakville reserves the right to revise or alter the recruitment schedule as necessary. Furthermore, we reserve the right to limit the number of applicants who will progress through each stage of the process based on the Recruiting Team's discretion.
All applicants must meet minimum qualifications to be considered for current vacancies. These minimum qualifications are listed on the job posting.
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Successful completion of fire service-related courses (auto extrication, ice/water rescue, high angle/rope rescue, confined space, hazardous material, critical incident stress management)
- Successful completion of life-saving certificates (First Responder, Basic Trauma Life Support, Automatic External Defibrillation, First Aid - Instructor's Level, Emergency Medical Care Attendant)
- Work experience (minimum two years) related to the fire service (skilled trades, building, construction, electrical, plumbing, pipe fitting, mechanical, heavy equipment operation, emergency vehicle operation, first aid, paramedical, teaching or instruction)
- Community involvement and commitment to serving the public
- Knowledge and understanding of a different culture and fluency in a language other than English
- A demonstrated commitment to a lifestyle of health and fitness
- Proven ability to interact harmoniously with co-workers, superiors, subordinates and allied agencies
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Positive team player that demonstrates maturity and sound judgment
- Training and/or experience using computer software
Working for the Oakville Fire department:
In Oakville, firefighters work on a rotating 24 hour shift schedule, including weekends and holidays. This is not a 9-to-5 job. Successful candidates will be expected to rotate between stations and platoons at the discretion of fire management throughout their career with the Oakville Fire department.
Our firefighters are members of the Oakville Professional Firefighters’ Association.
Thank you for considering the Oakville Fire department.