Fire Safety and Guidelines
General fire safety tips
Make sure that everyone knows the sound of the smoke alarm and what to do if a fire occurs. Regularly practice your home escape plan.
- Hear the beep where you sleep! Every bedroom needs a working smoke alarm!
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors regularly
- Clean barbecues before use
- Have flash light and extra batteries on hand
- Check heating appliances and chimney before use
- Check with local fire department on open air burning by-laws
- If you smoke, do so outside and keep a can of water nearby to discard cigarette butts
Check out these fire safety videos.
Cook with caution
Cottage fire safety
Holiday fire safety tips
Home and apartment safety
Inspections and plans review
Marine fire safety
Outdoor fires and barbeques
Senior safety precautions and people with hearing disabilities
Spring fire safety tips