Home and Property Projects - Fences and Gates
The information and links listed below provide guidelines about what you need to check before you start your fence and gate project so you can plan ahead for things that will affect your project during the planning stage, while your project is underway, and after your project is complete.
Permits and applications
- Engineering Permit Application (site alt., pools, road cuts, TSO, driveways) (pdf, 358 kB)
- Gate Access Permit
- Park Access Permit
- By-law 2002-034, as amended, is a by-law to regulate fences and privacy screens. To view this by-law and any amendments to the by-law please visit our by-law search page and enter 2002-034 in the search field.
- Guide to Fences (pdf, 2 MB)
Tree protection and removal
Did you know that there are special requirements if your project is near a town-owned tree? Are you thinking about cutting a tree down on your property? Visit the Tree Protection and Removal page for permit details and applications.
Parking during construction
Did you know that there are special parking requirements for you, as well as anyone you hire during your project? Visit the Parking During Construction page for details.
Other helpful information
- Fences are required around all types of pools including inflatable ones, hot tubs and landscape pond features.
- You must apply for a permit to access a town park for projects such as private pool installation or landscaping.
- You must apply for a permit to install and maintain a gate in any fence separating a residential property from a town-owned park.
Your project may require additional approvals from other town departments or other agencies. Please visit the Other Agency Approvals page for details.