LED Street light Conversion Project
The Town of Oakville is upgrading street lights to high-efficiency light emitting diodes (LEDs). Phase one of the project was completed in 2016 and included all town-owned street light fixtures except decorative street lights. Phase two will begin in the spring of 2017 and will involve upgrading all decorative street light fixtures.
Work will be completed by El-Con Construction Inc., a subsidiary of Oakville Enterprises Corporation (OEC). Crews working from bucket trucks will park underneath each street light to swap out the fixtures, resulting in minimal disruption to residents.
Why we’re making the switch to LEDs
Energy and cost savings
- LED street lights use less energy and last four times longer than existing high pressure sodium (HPS) light bulbs.
- The new lighting system will reduce the town’s annual electricity consumption for street lights by an estimated 40 to 50 per cent.
- A full conversion to LED fixtures will result in an estimated $1.3 million in annual hydro and maintenance savings.
- LEDs give off a more natural white glow compared to the yellow hue of HPS lights.
- LEDs have better light distribution and less glare.
- The new LED street lights will have zero up-light, meaning there will be no wasted light pointing up toward the sky. All the light shines on the ground.
Open House – LED Street light Conversion Project, Phase Two - Decorative Fixtures
Thursday, March 9, 2017, 6-8 p.m.
Town Hall, South Atrium
1225 Trafalgar Road
Join us for an opportunity to learn more about this project, view photos and some samples of the recommended light fixtures, ask questions and provide feedback.
Please note that LED fixture styles are subject to availability and new fixtures may not match your existing neighbourhood street light style. Where a similar fixture style is not available, residents and property owners are invited to provide feedback on options that will be displayed at the open house.
If you have any accessibility needs, please let us know by contacting ServiceOakville at 905-845-6601 (TTY: 905-338-4200), emailing email@example.com or by filling out the accessible online feedback form.
A total project budget of $12 million is included in the 2016-2017 capital budgets and is projected to be fully offset in ten years by the savings achieved through LED conversion.