Services offered by the Town of Oakville
Programs and classes
The Town of Oakville offers a variety of programs, classes and volunteer opportunities for adults 50+. Visit the Seniors' Centres page to learn more.
The Friendship Luncheon program combines lunch with a social outing. Clients (ages 80+) are picked up from their home, driven to the centre for lunch and an activity, and taken home again. You must pre-register for this program. Check the Seniors Newsletter for specific dates, times, and locations.
Oakville Transit is a great and convenient way to get to and from places in Oakville. Senior fares available. Visit the Oakville Transit website for details on rates, schedules and more!
Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing
The town offers a windrow clearing service for residents who are 65+ or have a physical disability. Visit the Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing program page for details or call ServiceOakville at 905-845-6601.
Property Tax Assistance
Visit the Rebates and Assistance page to learn more.
For more services and community groups search the Oakville Public Library – Halton Community Services Database.
Seniors Working Action Group (SWAG)
The Seniors Working Action Group (SWAG) meets bi-monthly under the authority of the Recreation and Culture department to support the well-being of seniors in Oakville. Their mandate is to:
- Represent seniors on the Town of Oakville's Age-Friendly committee
- Advocate for quality of life and dignity of seniors in Oakville.
- Provide seniors-related information to the community.
- Support and review issues of interest and concern such as housing, health care, transportation, and recreation.
For more information, please contact Darlene Cox at 905-466-6212 or Nancy Beddoe (Senior Manager of Seniors Services) at 905-845-6601, ext. 3976.
Services offered by Halton Region
Halton Region provides a number of services for seniors and older adults including:
- Emergency/short-term assistance
- Supportive housing programs
- Long-term care options
- Adult Day programs
- Fall prevention strategies, and more.
For more information visit the Halton Region website, or call the Halton Region Health department by calling:
- 1-866-442-5866 (toll free)
- 905-827-9833 (TTY)
Services offered by the provincial government
The Province of Ontario offers various forms of support and programs for seniors. Please visit the Province of Ontario website or call one of the following phone numbers for more information:
- General information on all provincial government programs and services: 1-800-267-8097
- Provincial government services pertaining to seniors (Seniors’ INFOline): 1-888-910-1999
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care: 1-800-268-1154
Services offered by the federal government
Federal programs for seniors include:
- Income security programs (Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan [CPP] Retirement Pension)
- Veterans Affairs Canada
- Telefile Canada (a call-in tax-return service for eligible seniors)
For general information about Government of Canada programs and services call 1-800-622-6232.
For forms, information, income security, programs, employment insurance or job information, call 1-800-277-9914 (toll free) or the Services Canada Centre in Oakville at 1-800-959-9522.
For more information, visit the Government of Canada website.
There are a number of community-based programs and services for seniors, including the following:
The Halton Seniors Helpline
This telephone service helps address physical, emotional, or financial abuse or neglect. Call 1-866-457-8252 (toll free) or visit the Halton Seniors Helpline website.
Oakville (Kiwanis) Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels delivers nutritional hot meals and/or frozen prepackaged meals. The program is funded by the Long-Term Care Division of the Ministry of Health, Client Fees and Donations. Subsidies may be available.
For more information call 905-842-1411 or visit the Kiwanis website.
OTMH outpatient clinics and community programs
Halton Healthcare Services provides a number of programs and services through Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital including:
- Cardiac Rehabilitation and Education Program
- ConnectCARE, diabetes education
- Eye clinic
- Fall intervention
- Fracture clinic
- Geriatric assessment
- Home Oxygen Program
For more information visit the Halton Healthcare website.
Emergency Response System
ConnectCARE is an emergency response system run by Halton Healthcare Services and Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital. For more information call 905-338-4357 or 1-800-665-7853 (toll free).