Trees benefit everyone by:
- Purifying the air we breathe
- Reducing the effects of pollution
- Increasing property values
- Creating and enhancing wildlife habitats
- Reducing heating and cooling costs on your home
2016 Hydro line clearing program
Beginning in January 2016, the Town of Oakville and its tree service contractor will perform hydro line clearing in neighbourhood’s in Zone 1 on behalf of Oakville Hydro, to ensure the health, safety and well-being of the town’s tree canopy. In rare instances, trees growing too close to the hydro line will be removed as a last resort if the arborist cannot balance the clearance standard with acceptable pruning standards.
If not properly maintained, trees can create power outages or hazardous situations by touching or even falling on hydro lines. Trees are pruned on a three-year cycle following the Electrical Safety Authority’s (ESA) industry standard of providing a minimum three-metre (10 foot) clearance. Our professional arborist contractors prune trees with these goals in mind:
- Keep the structural integrity of the tree intact
- Maintain the health of the tree with well-placed cuts that heal well and minimize sprouting
- Promote regrowth away from hydro lines through directional pruning
- Leave branches growing down and away from wires to continue their growth
In some instances, the town must prune privately owned trees if they have grown too close to the hydro line. When hydro lines are located in rear yards, Oakville Hydro has an easement through the property which allows the arborist to access the tree.
To see the progress of hydro line clearing in your area, visit our interactive map
More information on tree pruning around hydro lines can be found on the Oakville Hydro website.
Since 2005, the town has performed successful prescribed burns that result in a reduction of invasive plants, such as buckthorn seedlings and honeysuckle. Visit the Prescribed Burn page to learn more.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact ServiceOakville.