- Purifying the air we breathe
- Reducing the effects of pollution
- Increasing property values
- Creating and enhancing wildlife habitats
- Reducing heating and cooling costs on your home
2015 Tree Maintenance
Beginning in January 2015, the Town of Oakville and its tree service contractor will carry out the following two tree maintenance programs in neighbourhoods in east Oakville. Trees are pruned by qualified arborists to ensure the health and overall well-being of the trees is respected. In some instances, as a last resort, hazardous trees may have to be removed if satisfactory pruning cannot be achieved.
In some situations, the town may prune privately owned trees if they are interfering with power lines or the road allowance. Homeowners will be contacted whenever possible before work is carried out.
Hydro line clearing program
The town’s contractor, Davey Tree Experts, will prune trees on behalf of Oakville Hydro in east Oakville to ensure safe clearance around power lines. If not properly maintained, trees can create power outages or hazardous situations by touching or even falling on power lines. Trees are pruned on a three-year cycle following the Electrical Safety Authority’s (ESA) industry standard of providing a minimum three-metre (10 foot) clearance. Our professional arborist contractors prune trees with these goals in mind:
- Keep the structural integrity of the tree intact
- Maintain the health of the tree with well-placed cuts that heal well and minimize sprouting
- Promote regrowth away from power lines through directional pruning
- Leave branches growing down and away from wires to continue their growth
When power lines are located in rear yards, workers will need to access the property to the hydro easement and will contact homeowners when possible before doing so.
More information on tree pruning around power lines can be found on the Oakville Hydro website.
Preventative maintenance program
Trees are pruned following the International Society of Arboriculture’s (ISA) industry standards to make trees structurally strong, and more resilient to extreme weather events such as ice storms, and ensures adequate clearance over the road allowance in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact ServiceOakville.