Tree Planting

Tree plantingPlanting trees in town road allowance

The town’s Urban Forestry section is responsible for the selection, location and planting of street trees in subdivisions south of Dundas street. Species selection is made to ensure the tree lives as long as possible. For subdivisions north of Dundas Street, the developer is responsible for the installation of street trees, and the species and location are determined in consultation with town.

In either case, planting takes place in the spring and fall of each year (after the sod is laid by the builder, for new subdivisions). The spacing and location of the trees varies and not every address receives a tree due to space limitations, diversity of soil, tree species availability and any utility obstructions such as lights, hydro poles or stop signs. All streetscape designs are approved by Council. For more information, please call 905-845-6601.

When will my new neighbourhood get street trees?

After residents move into a subdivision it may take up to three years for trees to be planted. The town cannot plant trees in areas of a subdivision that are still experiencing road construction and sod laying. New homeowners may find that there is a tree-related charge on the closing purchase of their new home. In some cases the charges have been specifically assessed by developers to builders and then passed on to the homeowner. Tree planting agreements are made between the town and the developer––not the town and the homeowner. The town does not provide refunds for street tree planting.

All street trees located on municipally owned property are protected by town by-laws.

Replacing trees in town road allowance

The Urban Forestry section is responsible for replacement trees in established neighbourhoods. Replacement trees (or infill trees), are planted in areas where previously existing trees have been removed and stumped. In some cases, the town cannot replace trees due to site limitations, species availability and budget restrictions. Trees must be planted at least 12 metres from one another.

For more information, or to request a municipal tree, contact ServiceOakville 905-845-6601.

Agreement for Contractors to Perform Arboricultural Services on Town Property

If at the Owner's expense, an Owner wishes to have a contractor perform town-approved maintenance on a town-owned tree, or tree planting adjacent to the Owner's property, such as pruning, planting, removal and the injection of TreeAzinTM the Owner is required to submit a completed "Agreement for Contractors to Perform Arboricultural Services on Town Property". To learn more, download the Agreement (pdf, 91 kB).