Tree Protection and Removal
To support a greener community and healthier environment, the town has adopted several by-laws, policies, and procedures to preserve our community's tree canopy.
Private tree protection
The town's private tree protection by-law has changed. As of May 2, 2017, property owners must apply for a permit to remove a tree from their property. Visit the Private Tree Protection page to learn more.
Construction near trees
The town has adopted several policies and procedures to protect as well as enhance the tree canopy in the town. If you're planning a construction project you should review the Tree Protection Policy (EN-TRE-001) and Tree Protection During Construction Procedure (EN-TRE-001-001), which outline what you need to know about construction near existing trees, how to apply for permits, and more. You may need to complete one or more of the following:
- Building Permit Application (pdf, 1.7 MB)
- Driveway Permit
- Park Access Permit Application (pdf, 242 kB)
- Road Corridor Permit
- Development Permit Application (pdf, 1.7 MB)
- Tree Protection Zone Encroachment Application (pdf, 68 kB)
Municipal tree protection
All street trees located on municipal property are protected and regulated by established by-laws and applicable amendments:
- Regulations are in place to manage the planting, care, maintenance and removal of trees on town property. By-law 2009-025.
- Site alterations within the town are subject to a mandatory review of existing trees. By-law 2003-021.
- Parks within the town are subject to a by-law which protects the health of our canopy. By-law 2013-013.
- Rules and regulations regarding trees, the municipal right of way, and town boulevards. By-law 2009-072.
- Decorative Tree Lighting Specifications (pdf, 2 MB)
The town's Urban Forestry section is responsible for the maintenance of these trees. We encourage you to use your property survey or contact the town to determine your property line before beginning any tree planting or landscaping. Private trees and landscaping features are not permitted on the town boulevard. Review Boulevard Gardening permits. To find more information on the above rules and regulations, please search for the relevant by-law on the town's Municipal By-law Page.
For more information: