Business Licensing

Many businesses in Oakville require a licence. We licence trades such as building renovators, HVAC installers and plumbing contracting companies, personal service establishments (which include hair salons, tattoo parlours, and spas), motor vehicle service related facilities, and food shops.

The Regional Municipality of Halton requires certain businesses to be inspected for health reasons including, but not limited to personal services and food shops. Find out more information on obtaining a certificate of compliance with the Health Protection and Promotion Act by visiting,  contact them directly at 
905-825-6000, or dial 311.

Access a full list of businesses that require a licence and any potential changes to the business licensing requirements on the business licence applications page.

Do you run your own business? Big or small, with workers or without, you may require a licence and will need to be informed about WSIB coverage. Find out what it means for you by visiting the WSIB Ontario website.

List of licensed contractors

Looking for a licensed contractor to perform work at your home or business? Visit the licensed contractors page to access a list of contractors licensed to operate in Oakville.

Sign Permits

Mobile sign companies are required to be licensed. For a list of companies currently licensed with the town or for details on fixed or mobile sign permits, visit the sign permits page.

Licensing By-law 2015-075

Licensing By-law 2015-075 is the by-law that allows us to license and regulate various businesses in the Town of Oakville. Holding a valid business licence is vital to ensure businesses follow by-law regulations and limitations, providing consumer protection.

Contact Us

Clerk's department

By-law Enforcement