Search By-laws


To search the by-laws database, please enter a keyword or a by-law number into the search field. By-law numbers must follow this format: yyyy-xxx (four numerals that represent a year with three numerals following, separated by a hyphen: e.g., 2010-035).

Please note: Town by-laws and their associated amendments are on file in the Town of Oakville Clerk’s department. While the town makes every effort to publish current by-law details on this website, the online documents are provided for the purpose of information gathering only and may not reflect related amendments. To ensure you are accessing the most accurate and complete by-laws, please contact the Clerk’s department at 905-815-6015 or


The Licensing and By-Law Services section of the Clerk’s department provides business licensing and by-law information and enforcement. To search for by-laws use the online database.


We license trades such as building renovators, HVAC installers and plumbing contracting companies. Licences are also issued to stationary businesses such as barber shops and beauty salons, motor vehicle service related facilities, food shops and public halls. Mobile business licences are issued for refreshment vehicles, taxicabs and limousines.

The Licensing By-law 2008-093, as amended, allows us to license and regulate various businesses in Oakville. Holding a valid business licence is vital to ensure businesses follow by-law regulations and limitations, providing consumer protection. Visit Business Licensing for more details.

If you want to install a fixed sign, please download the fixed sign permit application (pdf, 53 kB).  Mobile sign permits are available at the Licensing office only.

Access a brochure for tenants and landlords of lodging houses (pdf, 42 kB).

By-laws and by-law officers

By-law officers provide by-law information and respond to concerns relating to violations of many of the town’s regulatory by-laws such as the Property Standards By-law and the Noise By-law.

For more information

Clerk's Department
Licensing and By-law Services