The Town Clerk is appointed the Municipal Returning Officer by statute and is responsible for the administration and management of municipal elections every four years. For that reason, the Clerk's department is responsible for accepting nominations of candidates running for office, preparing voters' lists, preparing ballots, selecting sites and staff for voting locations for advance voting days and voting day, and certification and distribution of election results.
The next regular municipal election will be held on October 27, 2014.
Every four years, in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, the Town Clerk, as Returning Officer, conducts elections for the offices of:
- Town Councillors
- Town and Regional Councillors
- Halton District Public School Board Trustees
- Halton Catholic District School Board Trustees
- Conseil scolaire de district du Centre-Sud-Ouest Trustee
- Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud Trustee
- Regional Chair
The role of Council and the role of head of Council can be found in the Municipal Act Sections 224, 225 and 226 respectively. For more details visit the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing or visit the Council Roles and Remuneration page.