The Recreation and Culture department engages Oakville residents in meaningful, diverse and accessible recreation and cultural experiences that foster individual, family and community wellbeing.
This policy guides the direction for the Recreation and Culture department to administer its facilities, programs and services with emphasis on;
- Access: Increased access to programs and services across our community
- Community Capacity: Organizations and groups are better-equipped to meet community needs
- Quality: Relevant and effective programs, services and facilities
The following services are delivered by the Recreation and Culture department.
- Recreation and Culture Administration;
- Recreation and Culture Programs, Services and Operations; and
- Program Development and Support.
Recreation: is the experience that results from freely chosen participation in physical, social, intellectual, creative and spiritual pursuits that enhance individual and community wellbeing. (A Framework for Recreation in Canada 2015)
Culture: means people expressing their creativity and heritage. This includes everything from traditional dance and the making of culturally specific costumes, to electronic dance music and digital game design. (Town of Oakville Cultural Plan 2016-2021)