Oakville Fire reminds residents: change your clocks, change your batteries
Switch to daylight savings time on Sunday, March 12, 2017
The Oakville Fire department is reminding residents to change their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm batteries when they change their clocks for daylight savings time this Sunday, March 12, 2017.
“Smoke alarms are critically important for protecting your family’s safety,” said Andy Glynn, Deputy Chief with the Oakville Fire department. “Replacing batteries at least once a year or when the low battery warning sounds is essential and could be a life-saving change.”
Ontario law requires all homes to have working CO and smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are required on every level of the home and outside each sleeping area. If you have a fuel burning appliance, fireplace or an attached garage in the home, install CO alarms outside of all sleeping areas. Remember to test alarms once a month by pushing the test button.
Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years and replacement times for carbon monoxide alarms vary from seven to 10 years. Always follow the replacement schedule posted on each alarm. Failure to maintain smoke alarms in operating condition can result in a ticket for $360 or a fine of up to $50,000.
All residents should have a home fire safety and escape plan that includes the following steps.
- Ensure all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are installed properly and working.
- Keep all exits unobstructed and easy to access.
- Practice two ways out of each room, when possible.
- Determine who will be responsible for helping young children, the elderly, or others requiring assistance.
- Identify a meeting place outside, where all household members can gather.
- In case of fire, get low and move under the smoke to the closest safe exit.
- Call 9-1-1 once outside the home using a cellphone or neighbour’s telephone.
- Stay outside where it is safe; never re-enter a burning building.
To learn more about the maintenance of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and home fire safety, visit the fire safety page.
Sign up for the town's RSS feeds to get information delivered right to your desktop.