Oakville Arena Redevelopment
Trafalgar Park Community Centre
The Town of Oakville is redeveloping Oakville Arena and Trafalgar Park.
Project update - May 15, 2017
Here's a look ahead at what to expect on site during the next few weeks:
- engineered fill and compaction will continue where Fire Hall is located.
- excavation for footings and foundation, footings and foundation installation work and exterior masonry block work
- removal of soils for parking area.
- dump trucks entering and leaving site – medium flow of trucks.
- normal noise and vibration associated with construction equipment and minimal dust migration.
- no traffic or transit impact.
- construction equipment such as, backhoe, excavator, front end loader and roller/packer for removal of earth and compaction.
- construction workers entering and leaving site.
The final redevelopment plans approved by Council (PDF, 340 kB) on September 19, 2016 include:
- retaining the distinctive wooden roof truss system designed and patented by Norman Otto Hipel in 1928.
- an NHL-size ice surface
- indoor running track
- new seniors’ centre
- administrative offices
- full-size gymnasium
- fitness centre
- new Kinsmen Pine Room for public meetings and events
- double tennis court that will be converted into an artificial ice rink in the winter
- fully accessible playground with a shade structure
- exterior washroom facilities
A new fire hall will also be built on the corner of Kerr Street and Rebecca Street. It will include a Fire Education and Heritage Room with interactive displays, public education materials, historical artifacts along with a 1948 vintage pumper truck on display.
The total project budget including the fire hall is $41,044,000. The fire hall is expected to open in November of 2017 and the arena and community centre are scheduled to open in the fall of 2018 to coincide with the start of the ice season.
Integrated Project Delivery – a collaborative approach
This project marks the first time the town is using an Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) approach to design and construction.
The traditional approach is to first enter into a contract with the architect followed by a separate contract with the general contractor after the design is complete. For this project, the town hired Diamond Schmitt Architects Inc. and Graham Construction and Engineering as a team at the beginning of the project. Together, they will work collaboratively with the town through the design and construction phase to deliver the project on time and on budget.
News release – Council approves budget and redevelopment plans for Oakville Arena and Trafalgar Park, September 23, 2016
Staff report – Trafalgar Park Revitalizaton Project – Validation Phase, June 20, 2016
Proposed design presentation, April 13, 2016 (PDF, 3.8 MB)
Staff report Oakville Arena Redevelopment – IPD Contract – January 25, 2016
Staff report – Oakville Arena Redevelopment May 26, 2014 (PDF, 381 kB)
Option #2 – Revitalization (PDF, 555 kB)
Oakville Arena redevelopment presentation – March 6, 2014 (PDF, 10.7 MB)
Existing Oakville Arena site (PDF, 281 kB)
Senior Manager, Recreation Services
Recreation and Culture
Town of Oakville
1225 Trafalgar Road
Oakville, ON L6H 0H3
905-845-6601, ext. 3039