Transportation Network Company licensing review
The Town of Oakville has conducted a comprehensive review of the taxi by-law. The review identified that transportation network companies (TNCs), like Uber, are having a significant impact on traditional taxis and how residents choose to get around. To ensure that we continue to provide safe, reliable ground transportation, the town is reviewing various options for licensing TNCs. Visit the Transportation Network Company licensing review page for details.
Using a taxi in Oakville
Our taxicab drivers are well trained. They are able to help you with general information about points of interest, shopping areas, major public buildings and hotel/motel locations in Oakville and the nearby area. Licensing By-law 2015-075 Schedule 34 (which regulates taxicabs - search results for the licensing by-law) ensures that you will be taken on the most direct route possible to where you are going in a vehicle that is clean, safe and reliable.
There are 135 taxicabs in Oakville, six wheelchair accessible.
Customer's Bill of Rights
A Customer's Bill of Rights is part of the by-law and a copy is put on view in each taxicab. As a customer of this taxicab, you have the right to:
- Prompt and reliable service.
- A courteous, knowledgeable, neat and clean driver
- A safe and comfortable ride in a clean car, which is in good mechanical condition
- Assistance when required
- Assistance at all times with groceries, luggage and parcels
- a silent ride upon request
- a receipt upon request
Taxicab rates are based on time and distance. Please note the driver cannot change large bills. The following rates have been approved by Council:
- For the initial 130 metres or part thereof: $4.50
- For each additional 130 metres or part thereof: $0.25
- For each added 30 seconds of waiting time while in use: $0.25
Packages, luggage, etc.
- Each trunk 3 cubic feet (0.76 cubic metres) or larger: included in fare
- Hand baggage, groceries, wheelchairs, walkers, etc.: included in fare
Discount for seniors is 10 per cent
- Proof of age is needed
- Flat rate trips do not get a discount
- Discount not applied on fares below $10
Interested in becoming a taxi driver?
Find out what steps you need to take by visiting the how to become a taxi driver page.
To register a concern or compliment about taxicabs or limousines
If you have recently had a trip in a taxicab or limousine and would like to let us know about it, please email your comments to Licensing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-815-2010.
Licensing By-law 2015-075 Schedule 19 (search results for the licensing by-law) also regulates limousines operated in the town.
General information can be obtained from the Licensing Services section of the Clerk’s department in Town Hall (hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday). You may also email inquiries to Licensing Services at email@example.com or call 905-815-2010.
Town of Oakville
1225 Trafalgar Road
Oakville ON L6H 0H3