Taxi and Limos
Taxicab by-law review
The Town of Oakville is reviewing our taxicab by-law to ensure it meets the current needs of residents, business and the taxicab industry. More information can be found on the Taxicab review page.
Transportation Network Company licensing
As of February 1, 2017, Transportation Network Companies (TNCs), like Uber, require a business license to operate in the Town of Oakville. Regulations governing TNCs can be found in Licensing By-law 2016-083. Visit the Transportation Network Company licensing page for more information.
Using a taxi in Oakville
Our taxicab drivers are well trained. They are able to help you with general information about points of interest, shopping areas, major public buildings and hotel/motel locations in Oakville and the nearby area. Licensing By-law 2015-075 Schedule 34 (which regulates taxicabs) ensures that you will be taken on the most direct route possible to where you are going in a vehicle that is clean, safe and reliable. Find out more by using the online by-laws search tool.
There are 135 taxicabs in Oakville, six wheelchair accessible.
Customer's Bill of Rights
A Customer's Bill of Rights is part of the by-law and a copy is put on view in each taxicab. As a customer of this taxicab, you have the right to:
- Prompt and reliable service.
- A courteous, knowledgeable, neat and clean driver
- A safe and comfortable ride in a clean car, which is in good mechanical condition
- Assistance when required
- Assistance at all times with groceries, luggage and parcels
- a silent ride upon request
- a receipt upon request
Taxicab rates are based on time and distance. Please note the driver cannot change large bills. The following rates have been approved by Council:
- For the initial 130 metres or part thereof: $4.50
- For each additional 130 metres or part thereof: $0.25
- For each added 30 seconds of waiting time while in use: $0.25
Packages, luggage, etc.
- Each trunk 3 cubic feet (0.76 cubic metres) or larger: included in fare
- Hand baggage, groceries, wheelchairs, walkers, etc.: included in fare
Discount for seniors is 10 per cent
- Proof of age is needed
- Flat rate trips do not get a discount
- Discount not applied on fares below $10
Interested in becoming a taxi driver?
Find out what steps you need to take by visiting the how to become a taxi driver page.
Licensing By-law 2015-075 Schedule 19 also regulates limousines operated in the town. Find out more by using the online by-laws search tool.
Contact Enforcement Services
For more information, or to file a complaint, contact Enforcement Services:
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.