After Hours Emergency Services

The town provides assistance after hours for concerns causing an immediate safety risk to citizens. Simply call ServiceOakville at 905-845-6601.

For police, fire and ambulance assistance, dial 911.

The following are common concerns the town respond to after hours:

  • Traffic signal malfunctioning
  • Traffic signs knocked down
  • Objects blocking the road
  • Parking enforcement
  • Fallen tree branches on the road or sidewalk
  • Very slippery roads
  • Open access to a pool – fencing is broken or gate left open
  • Vacant building which is open/unsecure
  • Building with significant structural damage
  • Dead tree in danger of falling and causing damage or injury
  • Rental property with no heat in cold temperatures; building temperature cannot maintain 21 degrees with an outside temperature of -18 Celsius or lower
  • Rental property flooding or sewage back-up – property management is not responding
  • Open trench – more than two feet deep with no fencing
  • Open well or hole with no fencing

Other after-hour concerns and who to call:

  • Tap water issues – Region of Halton – dial 311
  • Private property sewage back-up  – Region of Halton – dial 311
  • Public health issues – Region of Halton – dial 311
  • Noise concerns – Halton Police general line – 905-825-4777
  • Animal in distress – Oakville Humane Society - 905-845-1551
  • Power outages – Oakville Hydro - 905-825-6354
  • Street lights – Oakville Hydro – 905-825-6354

Non-urgent concern? Use our Report a Problem online tool

Make a service request for park garbage or maintenance, graffiti, or road and sidewalk concerns using the town’s Report a Problem online tool.

Requests are assigned within one business day. Inspection times vary depending on the type of problem.