Idling engines produce harmful emissions that cause health and air quality problems. Turning off car engines while parked is an easy way to improve local air quality.
In 2019, Town Council amended and strengthened the Anti-Idling By-law, making it a violation for a vehicle to idle for more than three consecutive minutes except under certain circumstances.
Programs and resources
- To request support for a school anti-idling campaign contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The town runs an ongoing smog reduction education campaign, targeting town employees.
- Town vehicles and equipment have stickers reminding staff not to idle.
Reduce your idling
- Turn the engine off when dropping off or picking up your child at school
- Don’t use a drive-thru. If you do, turn off the car as you wait
- Encourage others to turn their engines off whenever possible
- Limit your car use
- Run an Anti-Idling Campaign in your workplace or classroom. If you are interested in running a campaign please contact email@example.com.