Water Sustainability Plan
Along the Ministry of the Environment (MOE), Halton Region, Conservation Halton and the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative, we are engaged in working to support the development of a long term Water Sustainability Plan (WSP).
The WSP will include planning and management strategies to:
- Conserve and manage water
- Minimize the discharge of pollutants to area waterways and Lake Ontario
A WSP will be required under the Ontario Water Opportunities Act when regulations are drafted.
- Identify existing water management initiatives
- Identify issues, barriers, gaps and opportunities for the development of a WSP
- Create a framework (road map) which will enable municipal governments to develop a WSP
The WSP will help municipalities
- Consider solutions
- Deliver and manage municipal water, wastewater and stormwater services
- Improve environmental performance in water conservation and pollution reduction
- Consider watershed impacts related to water quality and quantity
- Identify opportunities for cost savings