The Premier of Ontario has declared a province-wide state of emergency and issued a stay-at-home order in response to rising COVID-19 variant infection rates.
Town-owned cemeteries are open. Safety protocols will be in place to ensure physical distancing is maintained. Please contact your funeral home or the cemetery office for details.
If a death has occurred, the town will continue to provide essential plot sale, burial and funeral services (by appointment only) to ensure those in need are served during this challenging time.
Please call 905-845-6601 to make an appointment or for more information.
Oakville Cemeteries is pleased to advise that we recently opened flat marker, cremated remains lots at St. Jude's Cemetery as part of our Cemetery Master Plan and have a limited number still available. Contact the cemetery staff for additional information.
St. Jude's Cemetery was established in 1853 when five acres of land were purchased on the shore of Lake Ontario about one mile west from present day downtown under the leadership of Reverend Robert Shanklin. A large rectory was built on the lake shore and a cemetery was established on the northern portion of the property. St. Jude's Anglican Church was then located on Colborne Street in the building that would later become the Bank of Montreal. The rectory was relocated to the corner of Dunn and William Streets in 1883 after Cannon John Bell Worrell got lost in a winter blizzard walking home after a Sunday evening service.
The southernmost two acres of the cemetery, including the old rectory (eventually named Holyrood by the owner Dr. William T. Stuart), was sold on May 30, 1887. Thirteen acres of cemetery land were added to the east, next to the original cemetery.
The Town of Oakville assumed the maintenance and sale of lots in St. Jude's Cemetery in 1979.
Cemeteries direct fax: 905-338-4188