Cornwall Road Reconstruction and Widening
Chartwell Road to Morrison Road
The Engineering and Construction department will be widening and resurfacing Cornwall Road from Chartwell Road to Morrison Road.
Public information centre
The town held a public information centre on March 9, 2016.
Review the notice and materials presented at the meeting:
This project includes the widening of the existing roadway and also includes several other improvements including:
- Widening of the existing roadway to include two lanes in each direction. The existing travel lanes will serve as the future eastbound lanes. Two future westbound lanes will be constructed.
- The widening will include a planted, landscaped median Island. Plantings will be completed by the Town of Oakville Parks department after construction is complete.
- The existing vegetated berms along Cornwall Road and the rail corridor will NOT be impacted.
- Additional tree plantings along the roadway will be included after construction is complete. Tree plantings will be completed by the Town of Oakville Forestry department
- Pathway improvements will be completed along the old Cornwall Road corridor. Tree plantings are included and will be completed in the fall of 2016 by the Town of Oakville Park's department
- Pedestrian facilities including a concrete sidewalk and multi-use asphalt pathway will be constructed
- Removal of the existing house at #505 Chartwell Road will be completed prior to the road work.
- Existing Street lighting will be upgraded to LED lighting and the existing traffic signals at Morrison Road and Chartwell Road will be replaced
- The existing culverts on Cornwall Road and Morrison Road at Wedgewood Creek will be replaced.
Work includes widening to the north of the existing road platform and will include a centre landscaped median island as well as the construction of two additional travel lanes which will serve as the future westbound travel lanes. The existing travel lanes will be maintained and will serve as the future eastbound travel lanes of the roadway. The existing roadway platform will be rehabilitated and resurfaced as part of this project.
Project schedule and staging
Pending the completion of design, permitting, tendering and project award, construction of the road is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2018 and will be substantially complete in November 2018.
Prior to road reconstruction, a pipeline and some minor works need to be completed.
Additional scheduling highlights include:
- Trans-Northern pipeline relocation (July-September 2017).
- Utility relocation (2017).
- Noise Attenuation Barrier (Fall 2017).
- Widening of the roadway including rehabilitation of the existing travel lanes (April 2018-November 2018).
- Cornwall Road will not be closed during construction. One lane of traffic will be maintained at all times, delays can be expected.
- Minor surface works, restorations and tree plantings to occur in (2018-2019).
- Existing culvert crossing of Wedgewood Creek on Cornwall Road (2018).
- Existing culvert crossing of Wedgewood Creek Morrison Road (2018).
- Morrison Road will be closed tentatively for culvert replacement.
- Transit will not be operating on Cornwall Road during the construction period. Transit will be diverted around the construction limits.
For more information
Engineering and Construction