Multilingual fire safety information
General fire safety tips
Make sure that everyone knows the sound of the smoke alarm and what to do if a fire occurs. Regularly practice your home escape plan.
- Hear the beep where you sleep! Every bedroom needs a working smoke alarm!
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors regularly
- Clean barbecues before use
- Have flash light and extra batteries on hand
- Check heating appliances and chimney before use
- Check with local fire department on open air burning by-laws
- If you smoke, do so outside and keep a can of water nearby to discard cigarette butts
Check out these fire safety videos.