Development Charges

Development Charges assist in providing infrastructure required by future development in the Town of Oakville by establishing a viable capital funding source to meet the town’s financial requirements.

The Development Charges Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 27 provides Council with the authority to pass by-laws that establish development charges applicable to new development and redevelopment. A background study is required in accordance with the required criteria detailed in the act which determines perspective charges. On December 22, 2017, the town released the current Development Charges Background Study for the Town of Oakville, which includes the town’s Development Charges By-law 2018-001. The study, Addendum No. 1 and No. 2 to the study and the proposed by-law are to be considered and approved by Council on February 27, 2018, with an effective date of February 28, 2018.

The town typically collects development charges at the time when a building permit is issued. In addition, the town collects development charges on behalf of the Region of Halton and the area school boards.

Payments now made electronically

Payments can be made by electronic funds transfer or wire transfer. Payments via cheque may be dropped off at ServiceOakville or mailed to the attention of Development Finance.

To help serve you better, please contact the Finance department 24 hours before making a payment at 905-338-4196 or

Bill 108, the More Homes, More Choices Act

Sections of Bill 108, the More Homes, More Choices Act, were proclaimed by the Province of Ontario and put into force January 1, 2020. More information is available on the Ontario Government website.

Region of Halton implementing Front-Ending Recovery Payment in addition to the current Regional Residential Development Charges

Cash-in-lieu of parkland

Parkland dedication fees are separate from development charges. Please contact 905-845-6601 extension 3022 for more information on parkland.

NSF Fees

Return Payments are subject to a return item fee of $40. A return payment may prevent your permit from being issued, or result in your permit being revoked. Any additional charges as a result of a return payment are the responsibility of the applicant.

More information

Applicants are encouraged to consult with the town’s Financial Planning department by email or telephone 905-338-4196 as well as review the Development Charges By-law to familiarize themselves with the potential impact of development charges on their developments or redevelopments.

In the case of non-residential developments or redevelopments, a non-residential information form should be completed at the time of the building permit application for the purposes of ascertaining the specific development charges that may apply based on the determinations of the town, Region of Halton and area school boards.

Development charge reports, forms and rates