This procedure defines the assessment criteria, application process and terms of appointment of citizens to the Corporation of the Town of Oakville (town) advisory committees and boards.
This procedure applies to citizen or public appointment to advisory committees and boards of the town.
- Applicants must be a resident of Oakville, unless otherwise outlined in the Terms of Reference.
- Diversity of the community shall be considered in making appointments to advisory committees and boards and where possible appointments shall reflect this diversity.
- Applications will be assessed based on the membership requirements in the committee’s terms of reference.
- Town employees (full or part-time), are not eligible to serve as a member on the town’s advisory committees and boards, unless otherwise authorized by Council.
- Notice of vacancies on advisory committees or boards shall be posted on the town’s website or as directed by Council.
- Citizens interested in applying to participate on an advisory committee or board of the Town may apply online on the town website.
- Town Council shall appoint qualified candidates for citizen vacancies based on consideration of the recommendations from the Administrative Services Committee.
- Applicants will be notified in writing of the final determination of their application.
- All inquiries should be directed to the Clerk’s department at 905-845-6601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of appointment
- Members of advisory committees and boards are expected to familiarize and adhere to all applicable corporate policies and procedures, including but not limited, to the Code of Conduct and the Respectful Conduct Policy.
- The Town Clerk shall be responsible for ensuring that citizen members receive appropriate orientation training.
- Proceedings of the advisory committees and boards shall be subject to the applicable terms of reference, any applicable committee/board procedure, and the Procedure By-law.
- The usual term of membership will be concurrent with the term of Council, unless otherwise determined by Council.
- Appointees to advisory committees and boards shall normally be limited to serving a maximum of two (2) consecutive terms unless otherwise determined by Council.
- Committee/board members must maintain residency within Oakville throughout the term of appointment, unless otherwise outlined in the terms of reference.
- The tenure for chairperson and vice-chairperson shall be limited to two (2) consecutive years unless the committee determines otherwise.
- If a member of the committee or board is absent from three consecutive meetings or absent from over 50% of the meetings in a calendar year, the following process is followed:
- The member shall be given written notice by the Clerk’s department of his/her absenteeism and advised that he/she may submit in writing the reasons for the absence, to be considered at the next meeting;
- Upon receipt of the written notice, the member’s position on the committee or board is suspended until a decision is made;
- The committee or board, by resolution, may waive the attendance requirements, if reasonable or compassionate circumstances exist, and the member remains on the Committee; and
- If no reasonable or compassionate response is given, the committee or board shall pass a motion to declare his/her seat vacant.
- In the event of a resignation of a member, the resignation shall be submitted in writing through the Clerk’s department.
- In the event of a resignation of a member, the position will be filled in accordance with the procedure for the Creation, Amendment and Dissolution of Boards and Committees.
- Where applicable, stipends may be paid to committee members in accordance with the terms of reference and the annual budget for the affected department.
The Town Clerk shall be responsible for the maintenance and administration of this procedure and associated policy.