This procedure defines the process and responsibilities for the development and distribution of the Council newsletter.
This procedure applies to all Members of Council, staff of the Mayor’s office and the Strategy, Policy and Communications department.
- A town-wide Council newsletter will be produced up to four times a year within the budget approved by Council.
- The approved budget will provide specific funds to allow each ward and the Mayor to hire external researchers or writers to assist with the development of articles for their allocated pages.
- Articles in each ward section should be ward specific and may include editorials for each councillor at their discretion.
- Councillors will receive an article submission deadline approximately six to eight weeks before distribution.
- Councillors will have the opportunity to review their draft ward pages and will have final responsibility for their articles.
- The Mayor’s office will coordinate editing, design, publishing, printing and distribution of the newsletter. Distribution will be approximately six to eight weeks after articles are received.
- The Mayor will review the final draft of the newsletter and have final signing authority to approve publication of the newsletter.
- In an election year, no newsletter may be distributed after the candidate filing deadline (Nomination Day).
- The Mayor’s office staff will establish and implement the annual production schedule and manage the newsletter budget.
- Strategy, Policy and Communications staff will proofread all articles to ensure consistency with town editorial and style guidelines.
- Strategy, Policy and Communications staff will support the development of the Council newsletter by providing specific corporate articles or design and desk-top publishing advice at the request of the Office of the Mayor.