This procedure defines the eligibility criteria and the terms and conditions for Public Holidays compensation.
This procedure applies to part-time and student employees of The Corporation of the Town of Oakville (Town). Employees covered by collective agreements are subject to the terms and conditions of their respective collective agreement.
- Part-time and student employees who work all regularly scheduled hours of work before and after the Public Holiday, unless they show reasonable cause for failing to work, shall be paid for the following Public Holidays in accordance with the Employment Standards Act, 2000 provisions for Public Holiday pay:
- New Years Day;
- Family Day;
- Good Friday;
- Victoria Day;
- Canada Day;
- Labour Day;
- Thanksgiving Day;
- Christmas Day;
- Boxing Day;
- Part-time and student employees who do not work on a Public Holiday will qualify for holiday pay provided they:
a) work the entire shift of the regularly scheduled days of work before and after the Public Holiday;
b) are not employed under an arrangement whereby the employee may elect to work or not when requested to do so;
- Calculation of Public Holiday pay payable to the employee will be calculated in accordance with the Employment Standards Act, 2000 as amended from time to time.
- Where a Public Holiday falls upon a working day for an employee, by agreement between the employee and manager, another working day may substituted for the Public Holiday, which shall not be longer than three months from the date on which the holiday was observed and the day so substituted will be deemed to be the Public Holiday.
- Part-time and student employees who work the Public Holiday will be paid Public Holiday pay, plus premium pay (1.5 times the employees regular rate) for all hours worked on the Public Holiday.
- An employee who is scheduled to work on a Public Holiday, and who fails to do so without reasonable cause, will lose his or her entitlement to Public Holiday pay.
The Human Resources Department in conjunction with Payroll and Benefits Services of the Financial Operations Department are responsible for the administration of this procedure.
Public Holiday: a holiday designated by the provincial or federal government