This procedure defines the recruitment and selection process for vacancies within the Corporation of the Town of Oakville (town).
This procedure applies to recruitment for permanent full-time positions within the town. Employees covered by a collective agreement are subject to the terms and conditions in their respective collective agreements.
- When a vacancy arises, the hiring manager completes an employment requisition through the automated workflow recruitment system (CIS) and submits a business case to the Human Resources (HR) department to support the request.
- Business cases shall be reviewed by the Vacancy Management Committee to consider options in managing vacancies. Recommendations shall be provided with all business cases that are submitted for approval by the Executive Management Team (EMT).
- The results of EMT decisions will be communicated to the hiring department director and HR department. Requests are to be approved as follows:
- Replacement for budgeted positions must be approved by the Department Head, Commissioner and EMT;
- Increases to the town complement must be approved by Council.
- Vacancies are posted and shall be accessible online.
- The HR department may decide to retain or recommend the retention of a professional recruiting agency.
- The following will be taken into consideration during the selection process:
- Application, covering letter, resume, job application questionnaire qualifications, experience and credentials;
- Skills, ability, aptitude and suitability displayed during the recruitment process on the job competencies and the job description;
- Testing and assessment where applicable;
- Reference checks;
- Background checks, where applicable.
- Interview panels, which may include subject matter experts, may be used to assess candidates.
- The employment contract will be drafted by Human Resources.
- All candidates who were interviewed, but not selected, will be notified of the decision by the hiring manager or Human Resources department.
- An employee who is unsuccessful for an internal posting may consult with the hiring manager or Human Resources department about his or her candidacy.
Reference and background checks
- Offers of employment are subject to the receipt of satisfactory employment references.
- Where drivers’ licence requirements are part of the bona fide job qualifications, applicants will be required to provide a driver’s licence abstract on or prior to commencement date.
- A satisfactory criminal record check may be required on or prior to commencement date.
- Other background checks (i.e. Education verification, credit) may be required.
- All new employees must provide proof of eligibility to work in Canada.
Persons with disabilities
The town will accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and Integrated Accessibility Standards.
The Human Resources department in conjunction with the hiring department shall be responsible for the administration of this procedure.