This procedure outlines the hiring process for part-time, temporary and student positions.
This procedure applies to the hiring of part-time, temporary and student employees of the Corporation of the Town of Oakville (town). Employees covered by a collective agreement are subject to the terms and conditions in the respective collective agreement.
- Temporary vacancies may arise as a result of emergency situations, vacations, illness workload or any other appropriate reason.
- The hiring manager must complete an employee requisition form for temporary vacancies of thirty (30) days or more. Requisitions must be done through the automated workflow recruitment system (CIS). When the temporary vacancy being filled is greater than 4 months, the hiring manager must also submit a business case to support their request. All business cases will be reviewed by the Vacancy Management Committee to consider options in managing vacancies. Recommendations will accompany the business cases that are submitted for approval by the Executive Management Team (EMT).
- In certain circumstances a temporary vacancy may be filled using the services of an external temporary staffing agency. The hiring manager may contact the town approved temporary staffing agency directly. Departments should contact the Human Resources department to determine if using an external temporary staffing agency is appropriate.
Part-time and student positions
- The hiring manager must complete a requisition through the automated workflow recruitment system (CIS) for temporary vacancies of thirty (30) days or more.
- All positions shall be evaluated under the job evaluation program.
- Procedures for recruiting shall be posted on the town web-site.
- All employment related town Policies and Procedures must be adhered to in the recruitment process.
- Employees will be paid in accordance with the part-time wage grid.
- The hiring manager or supervisor must ensure that a completed and signed letter of acceptance is received.
- To be considered eligible for the student job program, students must be currently attending and or returning to school. Verification of enrolment in the fall term may be required.
- Student offer letter must include a statement that the job offer is contingent upon budget approval.
- All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory employment references, obtained by HR or the hiring department prior to the date of hire.
- Where drivers licence requirements are part of the bona fide job qualifications, applicants will be required to provide a driver’s license abstract on or prior to commencement date.
- A criminal records check may be required on or prior to commencement date.
Citizenship or immigration status
All new employees must provide proof of eligibility to work in Canada.
Persons with disabilities
The town will not discriminate against persons with a disability. Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- The hiring department will be responsible for requesting assistance from the Human Resources department in the hiring process;
- It is the responsibility of respective supervisors to make offers and ensure that a completed signed offer letter is received and to advise the Human Resources department of any changes to job status, wage, salary, deductions, transfers, promotions, upgrading leaves of absence or separations, by submitting a completed Part-time or Student Employee Change of Status form.