The Corporation of the Town of Oakville (town) considers the probationary period as part of the selection process and its purpose is to orient, train, observe, and evaluate the employee's suitability to the position and ability to contribute to the overall objectives of the Department and the town. During the probationary period, employees found unsuitable for the position will be terminated.
This procedure applies to all employees. Employees covered by a collective agreement are also subject to the terms and conditions set out in those collective agreements.
Probationary period for new employees
- New employees will be required to successfully complete an initial probationary period of six (6) months.
- The immediate supervisor will provide the appropriate induction for an employee in the probationary period and will evaluate the employee's job performance during this period.
- At a minimum, the immediate supervisor will complete a performance evaluation by the 5th month of the probationary period to confirm ongoing employment.
- Any concerns about an employee's performance during the probationary period must be addressed immediately and in writing.
- Probationary periods may be extended for any reason, prior to its conclusion. In this event, the hiring department will discuss the extension with the employee and confirm such extension in writing to the employee with a copy to the Human Resources department.
- An employee, whose performance is found unsatisfactory during his or her probationary period, will be terminated. Termination requires consultation with the Human Resources department.
- Upon successful completion of a probationary period, an employee will be informed accordingly, and an evaluation form will be forwarded to the Human Resources department.
Management is responsible for conducting performance reviews and completing performance review forms with employees at specified times.