New Communities of Oakville Frequently Asked Questions

Signing the contract

What are purchaser warning and advisory clauses?

These clauses alert new homeowners to potential issues regarding their subdivision and can be found in the Builder/Homeowner Purchase and Sale Agreements.

Will there be a hydro box, sidewalk, community mailbox or lamppost in front of my property?

A utility plan has been prepared which shows the locations of all these elements. Contact your developer, builder or the town to see the plan.


Visit the Assumption page for more information.

What does final acceptance or assumption of a new subdivision mean?

When a new subdivision is assumed by the town, it means the town takes over the maintenance of public urban infrastructure such as roads.

When will my neighbourhood be assumed?

It can take five to seven years to completely build-out a subdivision. Before a subdivision is assumed, the development typically has sod on the properties, proper grading on driveways and lots, no settlement of land on driveway, entrances or swales (shallow drainage ditches) and no encroachments on municipal right-of-ways.

Who determines if my neighbourhood is ready to be assumed?

A professional consulting engineer hired by the developer, works with town inspectors to make sure the public infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, open space systems, etc.) have been constructed to town standards and that lot grading and drainage meet town requirements. Once all the inspections are competed and repairs done, town staff will make a recommendation to Town Council for assumption.


What is the developer’s responsibility?

The developer is responsible for subdivision drainage and grading, constructing sewers, water mains, roads, curbs and sidewalks, street lighting, street cleaning (until assumption), and fencing adjacent to public open space areas.

What is the builder’s responsibility?

The builder is responsible for constructing your house, grading and sodding the lot, and building the driveway.

Who do I contact about problems with my new home?

Contact your builder or developer first. If they do not respond to your satisfaction, talk to your solicitor and contact TARION at 1-800-668-0124, or email Record all complaints in writing to both your builder and TARION.

I gave my builder a deposit when I bought my home. When do I get my money back?

Your Agreement of Purchase and Sale should tell you when the developer will return your deposit. Some builders require a deposit as insurance against homeowners changing the grading of their property before it is assumed.

When will the builder complete the grading, sodding, and any unfinished exterior work?

Your lot will normally be sodded within a few months after your home is constructed. Contact your builder for details. The town allows a new home to be occupied when the minimum requirements of the Ontario Building Code for occupancy have been met.

When will my grading be approved and what is the process?

Builders usually wait for the completion of the majority of homes on a street before starting the lot grading. Top soil is spread and sod is laid once the developer’s consultant inspects and certifies it confirms to the town’s standards. Once the sod has been down for one or two months, the engineer consultant for the developer will issue the town a grading certification following an inspection by the town and no deficiencies are found.

Can I widen my driveway?

Driveway widths in the New Communities of Oakville will be limited and regulated to minimize the loss of valuable boulevard space and to protect opportunities for on-street parking. If your neighbourhood is not assumed, contact your developer before you make any changes. After assumption, contact the town’s Engineering and Construction department.

Subdivision services

What municipal or regional services do I get before my neighbourhood is assumed?

You will receive waste collection services from Halton Region and snow removal from the town. All new roads are also immediately subject to the rules of the Highway Traffic Act, including parking regulations.

When will garbage collection begin? Where can I get a Blue Box or GreenCart?

Waste collection will begin when homes are occupied in your subdivision and Halton Region can access them safely. Your developer or builder handles any waste collection before this time. Halton Region will drop off a GreenCart and two blue boxes to your home once homes are substantially completed.

When will my neighbourhood get public transit service?

The intent is to provide transit service along pre-determined routes after approximately 100 homes have been constructed. Service is generally phased-in as peak-hour only service, and in time, develops into all-day service. For more information visit the Oakville Transit website.


Visit the Permits page for more details.

Can I install a pool?

If your subdivision has not been assumed, you need to contact your developer for authorization to ensure that the installation of the pool does not result in negative changes to the grading or drainage of your property. Once you have your developer’s authorization, or if your subdivision has been assumed, you need to apply for a permit through the Town of Oakville.

What about installing a shed, deck or air conditioning unit?

If your subdivision is not assumed, you will need to check with the developer before installing items that might alter the grading or drainage on your property. Once you have the developer’s consent, or if your subdivision is assumed, you will need to contact the town’s Building Services department about permits and zoning regulations.

What do I need to know before installing a fence?

For unassumed areas, you need to check with your developer to ensure the fence is not going to cause any grading or drainage issues. If the developer approves your fence or if you live in an assumed area, check the town’s fence by-law to ensure your comply with the fence restrictions.

Can I apply for a parking permit?

All residential and commercial areas are expected to have active on-street parking in designated areas. This will be especially prevalent on streets near parks, schools, sports fields and commercial centres.

Unless otherwise signed, there is a three-hour parking limit on all town streets. Between November 15 and April 15, parking is prohibited on all streets between 2 and 6 a.m. to leave the road clear for snow removal and sanding/salting. Temporary on-street parking permits are available for overnight visitors and driveway repairs.

A permit process for permanent overnight parking is currently under consideration. This will permit vehicles to be parked on the street during evening and overnight hours.

Things to know

Who can I call about construction of new public schools and busing?

Contact the Halton District School Board at 905-335-3663, or the Halton Catholic District School Board at 905-632-6300. School locations and potential sites are determined by each school board. Please note that future schools identified on maps or signs in subdivisions are not guaranteed to be built.

Can I install a gate in the fence at the back of my property that backs onto public open space?

Fences are installed by the developer to separate your property from public open space areas such as parks, walkways, natural areas, and storm water management ponds. To inquire about adding a gate, contact the town’s Parks and Open Space department.

Where does the front of my property start and end?

Your property begins approximately one foot from the edge of the sidewalk farthest from the road or at the approximate location of the water shut off valve in front of your house. For exact measurements, please refer to the survey you received when you purchased your home.

When and where will trees be planted on my street?

A street tree planting plan has been prepared for your subdivision that shows the location of tree plantings. Because of boulevard utility placements and driveway locations, not every lot will be eligible for a street tree. Street tree plantings will be coordinated by the subdivision developer and typically occur after occupancy.

What is a rear lot catch basin and easement?

A rear lot catch basin connects to the storm sewer in the road via a pipe located along your property line. It collects surface water, such as rainwater, from a number of properties and allows it to drain away.

The easement is an area that delineates the location of the underground storm sewer on your property. The town has the legal right to access the rear lot catch basin over the lands identified in the easement. Drainage to a rear lot catch basin cannot be blocked by landscaping or structures otherwise flooding could occur.