The town is in the Red-Control level under the new provincial COVID-19 Response Framework: Keeping Ontario Safe and Open. Provincial orders remain in effect and we must all follow public health guidelines.
Tue, 27 Oct 2015
As part of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week, the Oakville Fire department is educating residents of the dangers of CO poisoning and reminding them to replace batteries in their CO and smoke alarms when they change their clocks for the end of daylight saving time on Sunday, November 1, 2015.
Known as the silent killer, Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly.
“If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out immediately. Then call 911 from outside the building,” said Glenn Barwell, public education officer with the Oakville Fire department. “Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness and loss of consciousness.”
CO alarms are now mandatory in homes and other residential buildings. If your home has fuel-burning appliances or an attached garage, install a CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area. Inspect all fuel-burning appliances annually and test CO and smoke detectors on a regular basis.
Properly working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms can save lives. Nearly half of all fatal fires in Ontario occur because there are no working smoke alarms in the home, most often because the alarms are not functional or missing batteries. Smoke alarms are required on every storey and outside each sleeping area. The Oakville Fire department recommends installing a smoke alarm inside all bedrooms. Only working CO and smoke alarms can save your life.
For more CO and smoke alarm safety tips visit the Fire Safety page.