Wed, 26 Oct 2016
As part of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week from November 1 to 7, 2016, the Oakville Fire department is encouraging residents that have a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace or attached garage to install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms.
“Carbon monoxide alarms provide the only warning of dangerous carbon monoxide gases in your home,” said Glenn Barwell public education officer with the Oakville Fire department. “Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide alarm adjacent to all sleeping areas.”
Carbon monoxide is produced through the incomplete combustion of a fuel. Hazardous exposure can occur if a fuel-burning appliance in your home is not properly maintained, or an exhaust vent becomes blocked. To stay safe from carbon monoxide, ensure that all fuel-burning appliances in your home are inspected annually.
Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer. CO is an invisible, odourless and potentially lethal gas. Know the sources of carbon monoxide and prevent the build-up of carbon monoxide in your home.
The Oakville Fire department will be on hand to discuss CO safety along with Halloween safety tips at the Tiny Tots on Parade event in downtown Oakville on Monday, October 31, 2016, from 10 a.m. to noon. Visit the Downtown Oakville website for details.
For more CO and smoke alarm safety tips visit the Oakville Fire safety tips page.