Proof of vaccination is required at indoor town facilities. Oakville remains in Step 3 of the Province’s reopening plan. Please continue to follow all current public health measures.
Mon, 30 Oct 2017
As part of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week, the Oakville Fire department is reminding residents of the dangers of CO poisoning and encouraging them to replace batteries in their CO and smoke alarms when they change their clocks for the end daylight saving time on Sunday, November 5.
Known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly.
“The effects of CO poisoning can be devastating, yet they are easily preventable,” said Glenn Barwell, public education officer with the Oakville Fire department. “Make sure you are protected by getting alarms that sound when CO is present and having fuel burning appliances serviced and chimneys swept every year.”
CO alarms are mandatory in homes and other residential buildings. If your home has fuel-burning appliances or an attached garage, install a CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area. Inspect all fuel-burning appliances annually and test CO and smoke detectors on a regular basis.
Properly working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms can save lives. Nearly half of all fatal fires in Ontario occur because there are no working smoke alarms in the home, most often because the alarms are not functional or missing batteries. Smoke alarms are required on every storey and outside each sleeping area. The Oakville Fire department recommends installing a smoke alarm inside all bedrooms.
For more CO and smoke alarm safety tips visit the Fire Department page.