2022 Citizen Survey results show resident satisfaction with town services remains strong
Tue, 26 Apr 2022
Results also highlight Oakville’s livability, focus areas, and more
The results of the Town of Oakville’s 2022 Citizen Survey are in! Satisfaction with the town remains high with 93 per cent of Oakville residents expressing overall satisfaction with town programs and services; 85 per cent of Oakville residents expressing an overall satisfaction with their customer service experience; and 80 per cent feeling positive about their local government.
Participants also identified important issues that are impacting the community, such as affordable housing, urban sprawl/rapid development, and the COVID-19 pandemic. Although the pandemic has been a top-of-mind issue for residents and has impacted the way the town has served the community over the past two years, nearly 78 per cent expressed that they were satisfied with how the town adapted its services in response to the public health emergency.
Other key findings from the resident survey include:
- High marks for service delivery: Results show that eight out of 12 service areas received satisfaction ratings above 80 per cent. The town’s top rated services include parks and green spaces (93 per cent), harbours and waterfront areas (90 per cent), public libraries (88 per cent), recreation fields and facilities (87 per cent), and emergency services (85 per cent).
- Value for money: 85 per cent of residents said they receive good value for their tax dollars.
- Satisfaction with town attributes: Residents were asked to rate ten attributes of the Town of Oakville, giving us an overall satisfaction rating of 87 per cent. The highest levels of satisfaction were feelings of safety (95 per cent), overall appearance of the community (92 per cent), and feeling of belonging (87 per cent).
- Receiving information: Results show that in the past 12 months residents connected most with the town through the town’s website (61 per cent), both as a way to contact the town and to find information about programs and services. Of those who have used the town’s website, 9 in 10 (89 per cent) were satisfied with it.
- Identified priorities: To help the town in planning for the future, residents outlined the following top priority area within six areas of focus:
- Climate change: Protecting and maintaining parks, trails and green spaces.
- Economic growth: Attracting new companies to Oakville to create more local job opportunities.
- Parks amenities and recreation programs: Offering park space for unstructured use.
- Ease of travelling: Adding and widening roads and bridges and increasing the frequency of public transit.
- Governing and managing the town: Ensuring open and accountable government decision-making.
- Controlling the rate and type of growth: Protecting the character of existing neighbourhoods.
- Focus areas for service delivery: Availability of online services and transit.
- While satisfaction with online services and transit services increased from 2019 (online services up one per cent to 79 per cent and transit up two per cent to 61 per cent), residents have identified them as primary areas of improvement.
- Three other services identified by residents that may need attention in the long-term to maintain current high satisfaction ratings: recreation programs (81 per cent); arts, heritage and culture offerings and venues (82 per cent); and town roads and sidewalks (81 per cent).
- Customer service: More than 85 per cent of residents feel town staff are respectful and knowledgeable, and that the information they need is easy to find and understand.
“The Citizen Survey results are encouraging and a reflection of the town’s livability and commitment to delivering high quality programs and services that residents value. As we take a closer look at the results, I know this information will help keep Council and the town focused on our strategic priorities and ensure town programs and services continue to improve to meet our residents’ needs and expectations.”
Mayor Rob Burton
“I am extremely proud of town staff and their unwavering commitment to serve the community. Their efforts throughout the pandemic haven’t gone unnoticed as the survey results show and I want to thank them for doing their part to protect our community. I also want to thank our residents for their valuable feedback that will help us make improvements to our programs and services and shape our future strategic priorities.”
CAO Jane Clohecy
- Forum Research conducted a telephone survey between January 24, 2022 and February 6, 2022 on behalf of the town. A random sample of 811 residents were asked about their views on town services and the community. Findings were accurate to +/- 2.9 per cent. In addition to the phone survey, 990 responses were received through an online survey.
- Every two years, the Town of Oakville conducts a resident survey to gather information on residents’ overall satisfaction with town programs and services, identify emerging issues important to the community and to help guide strategic priorities and ensure continuous improvement in the town’s service delivery.
- Review the 2022 Citizen Survey Report Card (pdf) for highlights and the 2022 Citizen Survey Results (pdf) for details on the town’s strengths and areas of focus.
- Last year’s survey was postponed due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. To view the 2019 Citizen Survey Results and the 2019 Report Card to Citizens, visit the Citizen Survey page.