Trafalgar Road construction update
Mon, 20 Jul 2015
Update for September 17, 2015
Back to school means more traffic on the roads
Everyone’s getting back into routine and that means more traffic on the road. The Ministry of Transportation (MTO) continues to work on the Trafalgar Road overpass at the QEW and is preparing for increased traffic due to students returning to school and residents returning to work.
If possible, please use an alternative route around this section of Trafalgar Road to minimize delays.
Other measures currently being implemented to help alleviate congestion include:
- Message signs will be installed soon in the area (Trafalgar Road, Cornwall Road and Upper Middle Road corridors) warning travellers of potential congestion and alternative routes. These signs will display anticipated travel times for various destinations so motorists can plan in advance for alternate routes.
- Signs will soon be posted outside of the construction area notifying motorists of the Trafalgar/QEW construction and to expect delays. These signs will serve as a reminder for motorists to plan in advance for alternate routes.
- Traffic signal timings along Trafalgar Road, Cornwall Road and Upper Middle Road and along alternate routes, will be adjusted to help keep traffic flowing. Signal timing adjustments have already been made at the Trafalgar/QEW interchange ramps to allow more green time for north/south movements.
We appreciate your patience. Safe travels and please watch for children as they start back to school.
Trafalgar Road overpass
The Trafalgar Road overpass is in need of repair. To ensure the continued safety of this overpass, the following repairs are being done:
- Repairs to the bridge deck, including repaving the portion of Trafalgar Road that passes over the bridge
- Waterproofing the bridge deck to protect the concrete from moisture and salt damage to extend the life of the overpass
- Repairs and improvements to the concrete portions of the bridge, including the bridge deck and the supporting walls and columns, and to the concrete areas between the road and the bridge
In addition to the repairs, additional enhancements are being made to improve accessibility and safety for pedestrians:
- Widening both sides of the overpass by 0.3 metres to accommodate wider sidewalks for pedestrians
- Allowing a 0.45m buffer zone between the sidewalk and the road to improve pedestrian safety
Town of Oakville staff will monitor the project and will post any necessary alerts to the town’s Service Disruptions page.
If you would like more information on this construction project, please contact:
We appreciate your patience as the MTO works to improve this area.