Mon, 28 Oct 2019
To kick off Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week, November 1 – 7, the Oakville Fire department invites you to join your neighbours for coffee and conversation from 10 a.m. to noon on Friday, November 1 at one of these McDonald’s locations:
Enjoy a free small coffee, meet a firefighter and get to know your fire department. This is your chance to ask questions, learn something new, and get the scoop on CO safety.
During Carbon Monoxide Week, the Oakville Fire department is emphasizing the dangers of CO poisoning and encouraging residents to replace the batteries in their CO and smoke alarms when they change their clocks at the end of daylight saving time on Sunday, November 3.
“Carbon monoxide alarms provide the only warning of dangerous carbon monoxide gases in your home,” said Glenn Barwell, public education officer with the Oakville Fire department. “I urge everyone to make sure to have a working CO alarm adjacent to all sleeping areas.”
Known as the silent killer, CO is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly. The Oakville Fire department is also reminding residents to inspect all fuel-burning appliances annually and test CO and smoke detectors on a regular basis.
For more CO and smoke alarm safety tips visit our Carbon Monoxide page.