Community Spirit Awards
Celebrating Oakville's 2017 Community Champions!
16th Annual Oakville Community Spirit Awards
We all have friends and colleagues who spend countless hours volunteering and supporting the many activities of our diverse community. This generous spirit is evident all around us.
Nominate a community champion today!
Complete the online nomination form or pick up a printed nomination form, available at Town Hall and all town-owned recreation and culture facilities.
Submissions will not be accepted after the nomination deadline of Monday, April 10, 2017. Information gathered through the nomination process will be used to: develop a profile of the nominee, celebrate the nominees, and promote the Community Spirit Awards event.
Only completed nomination packages will be accepted. A complete nomination package must include:
- A completed nomination form.
- A nomination statement that summarizes in approximately 250 words the nominee’s significant contributions or achievements in the award category selected. Read sample nomination statement.
- At least one testimonial or reference. Read sample testimonials.
- All nominees must dedicate their volunteer time to an Oakville organization.
- Previous nominations will be accepted as long as the application form is updated.
- Past recipients can be re-nominated but only in a different award category.
All award nominees must demonstrate:
- Special or unique qualities that highlight how the person/organization has made a difference in the community;
- Leadership, dedication, innovation and creativity; and
- Long-term benefits or impact to the community.
The selection process
A Selection Committee consisting of Council members and community leaders will review each nomination and select the recipients. The Selection Committee reserves the right to move a nomination to a more appropriate category, if necessary. All decisions made by the Selection Committee are final.
The recognition process
Recipients will be notified in writing and invited to attend the awards ceremony on Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre. Nominees, whether group or individual, will receive one complimentary ticket to attend the reception. Additional tickets can be purchased for $15 each.
Access Award, sponsored by Access Abilities
Recognizes outstanding individuals, businesses or organizations that have made or are making a significant or ongoing voluntary contribution, beyond legislated requirements, to the well-being and advancement of people with disabilities.
Arts Award, sponsored by The Oakville Beaver
Recognizes an individual or organization that, through their volunteerism, has contributed to nurturing and enhancing the arts in Oakville.
Group Volunteer Award, sponsored by the Town of Oakville
Recognizes a group of three or more individuals who have come together to volunteer their time toward a shared goal/activity or event involving leadership, innovation and creativity. Activities or events can benefit all ages.
Heritage Award, sponsored by Genworth Financial Canada
Recognizes an individual or organization that has made an outstanding contribution to Oakville’s heritage and history by aiding in the preservation and celebration of Oakville’s natural, built or cultural heritage.
Individual Volunteer Award, sponsored by Paradiso Restaurant
Recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding volunteer contribution towards improving the well-being of Oakville residents of any age group.
Senior Award, sponsored by Chartwell Waterford Retirement Residence
Recognizes a Senior (65 years and older) or group that has made an outstanding voluntary contribution to the Oakville community.
Youth Award, sponsored by RBC Royal Bank
Recognizes a youth individual or group (18 years and under) that has made positive contributions towards enriching Oakville’s quality of life.
2016 Community Spirit Award champions
The following individuals and groups (pictured above, front row) were recognized for their outstanding contributions to the community at the 15th Annual Community Spirit Awards held June 8, 2016, at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre:
- Nicky Lawson, Access Award sponsored by Access Abilities
- Dawne Rudman, Arts Award sponsored by the Oakville Beaver
- BusiWomen, Group Volunteer Award sponsored by the Town of Oakville
- Greg Munz, Heritage Award sponsored by Genworth Financial Canada
- James Montague, Individual Volunteer Award sponsored by Paradiso Restaurant
- Fred Drews, Senior Award sponsored by the Town of Oakville
- Matteo Esposito, Youth Award sponsored by RBC Royal Bank
Check out the full list of our 2016 nominees.
The 2016 awards were designed by local furniture and wood-working artists Joseph Bauman and Dayna Gedney.