Community Spirit Awards
Celebrate Oakville's 2015 Community Champions!
14th Annual Oakville Community Spirit Awards
The Community Spirit Awards celebrate friends and colleagues who spend countless hours volunteering and supporting the many activities of our diverse community. The nomination period is now closed and the Selection Committee will soon begin reviewing all of the submissions we received. Stay tuned for the list of nominees!
Purchase your Community Spirit Awards tickets today!
The awards ceremony and reception will be held on Wednesday, June 3, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre. Tickets for the event are available for $15 each through the Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts. Visit oakvillecentre.ca or call the box office at 905-815-2021, Monday to Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is no reserved seating for this event.
The 2015 nominees are...
Congratulations go out to the following individuals and organizations that have been nominated for their dedication and commitment to the Oakville community:
Access Award - Sponsored by MEDIchair
Recognizes outstanding individuals, businesses or organizations that have made or are making a significant or ongoing voluntary contribution, beyond legislated requirements, to the well-being and advancement of people with disabilities.
- Rosa Bustamante
- Rob McLean
Arts Award - sponsored by The Oakville Beaver
Recognizes an individual or organization that, through their volunteerism, has contributed to nurturing and enhancing the arts in Oakville.
- Rena Sava
- The Oakville Wind Orchestra
Group Volunteer Award - sponsored by Whole Foods Market
Recognizes a group of three or more individuals who have come together to volunteer their time toward a shared goal/activity or event involving leadership, innovation and creativity. Activities or events can benefit all ages.
- Anne-Marie and Gordon Lattemore
- Hope in High Heels – Oakville
- The Silverhearts Association
Heritage Award - sponsored by Genworth Financial Canada
Recognizes an individual or organization that has made an outstanding contribution to Oakville by aiding in the preservation and celebration of Oakville’s natural, built or cultural heritage.
- Dr. Jane Coryell
- Sean Livingston
- Donna Starkey
Individual Volunteer Award - Sponsored by Paradiso Restaurant
Recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding volunteer contribution towards improving the well-being of Oakville residents of any age group.
- Caffrey Contracting
- Flavia Ceschin
- Rupal Hagerman
- Nancy Hardcastle
- Ishrani Henry
- Nixon McCaig
- Cheryle McCullagh
- John McMullen
- Nicolette Little
- Sue Perry
- Eric Roberts
- Michael Shaen
Senior Award - sponsored by Amica at Oakville
Recognizes a senior individual or group (65 years and older) that has made an outstanding voluntary contribution to the Oakville community.
- Margaret Andrews
- Carole Camirand
- Malcolm McDonald
- Bill Miller
- Catherine Moore
- Shirley Walmsley
Youth Award - sponsored by RBC Royal Bank
Recognizes a youth individual or group (18 years and under) that has made positive contributions towards enriching Oakville’s quality of life.
- Oakville Trafalgar High school Robotics Team
All award nominees must demonstrate:
- Special or unique qualities that highlight how the person/organization has made a difference in the community;
- Leadership, dedication, innovation and creativity; and
- Long-term benefits or impact to the community.
The selection process
- A Selection Committee consisting of Council members and community leaders review each nomination and select the recipients.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to move a nomination to a more appropriate category, if necessary.
- All decisions made by the Selection Committee are final.
- Submissions will not be accepted after the nomination deadline of Monday, April 13, 2015.
- Information gathered through the nomination process will be used to: develop a profile of the nominee, celebrate the nominees, and promote the Oakville Community Spirit Awards event.
The recognition process
Recipients and their nominators will be notified in writing and invited to attend the awards ceremony on Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre.
Nominees, whether group or individual, will receive one complimentary ticket to attend the reception. Additional tickets can be purchased for $15 each.
2014 Community Spirit Award winners
Outstanding achievements in volunteerism were celebrated at the 13th Annual Community Spirit Awards at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre on June 11, 2014. Congratulations to:
- Adam Spencer, Access Award
- Susan Forde, Arts Award
- Bank of Montreal, Environmental Award
- Friends of the Oakville Public Library, Group Volunteer Award
- Philip Brimacombe, Heritage and History Awards
- Ruth Johnston, Senior Award
- Children in Action, Youth Award
Visit the 2014 Community Spirit Awards photo gallery page for images of the event.