Community Spirit Awards
We all have friends and colleagues who spend countless hours volunteering and supporting the many activities of our diverse community. The Community Spirit Awards celebrate this generous spirit that is evident all around. What better way to acknowledge the contributions made than to nominate them for an Oakville Community Spirit Award!
Celebrate Oakville's 2014 Community Champions!
Nominate a community champion now! Complete the online nomination form for the 13th Annual Oakville Community Spirit Awards today. The nomination form is also available in printable pdf format (pdf, 143 kB). Hard copy nomination forms can be picked up at Town Hall and all town-owned recreation and culture facilities.
Only completed nomination packages will be accepted. A complete nomination package must include:
- A completed nomination form.
- A nomination statement that summarizes in approximately 250 words the nominee’s significant contributions or achievements in the award category selected. Read sample nomination statement.
- At least two letters of support or testimonials, as well as any media articles in direct support of the nomination. Read sample testimonials.
- All nominees must dedicate their volunteer time to an Oakville organization.
- Previous nominations will be accepted as long as the application form is updated.
- Past recipients can be re-nominated but only in a different award category.
All award nominees must demonstrate:
- Special or unique qualities that highlight how the person/organization has made a difference in the community;
- Leadership, dedication, innovation and creativity; and
- Long-term benefits or impact to the community.
The selection process
A Selection Committee consisting of Council members and community leaders will review each nomination and select the recipients. The Selection Committee reserves the right to move a nomination to a more appropriate category, if necessary. All decisions made by the Selection Committee are final. Submissions will not be accepted after the nomination deadline of Monday, April 14, 2014. Information gathered through the nomination process will be used to: develop a profile of the nominee, celebrate the nominees, and promote the Community Spirit Awards event.
The recognition process
Recipients and their nominators will be notified in writing and invited to attend the awards ceremony on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre. Nominees, whether group or individual, will receive one complimentary ticket to attend the reception. Additional tickets can be purchased for $15 each.
Access Award, sponsored by MEDIchair
Recognizes outstanding individuals, businesses or organizations that have made or are making a significant or ongoing voluntary contribution, beyond legislated requirements, to the well-being and advancement of people with disabilities.
Arts Award, sponsored by The Oakville Beaver
Recognizes an individual or organization that, through their volunteerism, has contributed to nurturing and enhancing the arts in Oakville.
Environmental Award, sponsored by Tim Hortons
Recognizes an individual or organization whose outstanding voluntary contribution of environmental stewardship has helped to enhance or protect Oakville's environment.
Group Volunteer Award, sponsored by Sun Life Financial
Recognizes a group of three or more individuals who have come together to volunteer their time toward a shared goal/activity or event involving leadership, innovation and creativity. Activities or events can benefit all ages.
Heritage and History Award, sponsored by Genworth Financial Canada
Recognizes an individual or organization that has made an outstanding contribution to Oakville’s heritage and history by aiding in the preservation and celebration of Oakville’s natural, built or cultural heritage.
Individual Volunteer Award, sponsored by Paradiso Restaurant
Recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding volunteer contribution towards improving the well-being of Oakville residents of any age group.
Senior Award, sponsored by Chartwell Oakville
Recognizes a Senior (65 years and older) or group that has made an outstanding voluntary contribution to the Oakville community.
Youth Award, sponsored by RBC Royal Bank
Recognizes a youth individual or group (18 years and under) that has made positive contributions towards enriching Oakville’s quality of life.
2013 Community Spirit Awards winners
Outstanding achievements in volunteerism were celebrated at the 12th annual Community Spirit Awards at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre on June 12, 2013. Congratulations to:
- Greg Gittings, Access Award sponsored by MEDIchair Halton
- Dana Said Dennaoui, Arts Award sponsored by The Oakville Beaver
- Andy Stark, Environmental Award sponsored by Tim Hortons
- Acclaim Health Hospice Visiting Program, Group Volunteer Award sponsored by Sun Life Financial
- Wendy Belcher, Heritage and History Award sponsored by Genworth Financial Canada
- Diane Daly, Individual Volunteer Award sponsored by Paradiso Restaurant
- Michael Lansdown, Senior Award sponsored by Chartwell Oakville
- St. Thomas Aquinas Peace and Justice Club, Youth Award sponsored by RBC Royal Bank
Visit the Community Spirit Awards photo gallery page for images of the event.
If you have any questions or want more information, please email email@example.com.