Enforcement Services

The town’s Enforcement Services division is committed to fostering a safe, welcoming and pleasant community for residents and visitors.

By-law enforcement officers work in the community to educate the public about Oakville by-laws, respond to complaints in a timely manner and conduct investigations related to by-law offences, and issue warnings and penalties for by-law violations when needed.

Enforcement Services staff are also a valuable resource for residents and the community. You can call and speak with someone if you have questions or concerns about town by-laws or other enforcement issues.

Pay a ticket

Pay a ticket

Pay a ticket

Learn more

Proposed new by-laws and licensing requirements:

Proposed tow truck licensing

Please visit our Tow Truck licensing by-law page to find out more about this proposed by-law.

Proposed vacant property licensing

An open house was held on Wednesday, April 3 where staff shared with residents the various aspects of the proposed vacant property licensing by-law. Some highlights of the proposed by-law are:

  • property must be vacant more than 90 days before being classified as a vacant property
  • property owners will be required to provide a property maintance contact who can respond to issues with the property
  • if a building exists on the property, the building will be required to be property secured to ensure safety
  • inspections will be conducted up to four times a year

A staff report and proposed by-law will be presented to council in June. More information relating to the council meeting and proposed by-law will be updated as it becomes available.

Why a Maintenance of Vacant Properties By-law?

Vacant and unoccupied buildings that are not maintained can become infested with pests, attract trespassers, and have negative impacts on property values. Although the town’s Property Standards By-law addresses some of the issues that vacant properties present, other issues such as ensuring buildings are regularly inspected and have sufficient insurance need to be addressed.

Community mobile sign regulations

An open house was held on Wednesday, April 3 where staff shared with members of the public proposed new locations for community mobile signs.

A staff report presenting staff recommendations for community sign locations will be presented to council in June. More information relating to the council meeting and staff report will be updated as it becomes available.

Why a review of community mobile sign locations?

The current regulations set out in Sign By-law 2018-153 allow for two sign locations per ward. The introduction of additional locations will offer local organizations better opportunities to display information on community events in highly visible areas along the roadway.

Have comments?

Please send any comments to enforcement@oakville.ca.

Frequently requested by-laws

Find information related to the most frequently requested by-laws, including links to access the pdf version of a by-law and its amendments, visit the Frequently Requested By-laws page.

Animal control

Animal control

Business licensing

Business licensing

By-law Enforcement

By-law Enforcement





Sign Permits

Sign Permits

How do I lodge a by-law complaint?

To register a complaint with enforcement services call us at 905-845-6601 or email service@oakville.ca.

Please be prepared to provide a brief description of your concern including the address you are concerned about, business name (if applicable), and any contact information including your name, address and telephone number or email address.

Where can I find information on cannabis legalization?

You can visit our Cannabis website for helpful links and information.

What temperature does my landlord have to maintain my apartment at?

The town’s property standards by-law requires landlords to have heating facilities capable of maintaining a temperature of 22 degrees Celsius.

How long can my neighbours grass be?

The town’s property standards by-law requires all property owners to maintain their properties so they are kept neat and tidy, free of garbage and not allow grass to become overgrown and unsightly. Grass and weeds cannot exceed 20.33 centimetres (8 inches) in height. These rules apply to both owned and rented dwellings.

Are there regulations for building a fence in Oakville?

Yes. All fences must comply with the specifications outlined in Fence By-law 2002-034. Please visit the Home and Property Projects - Fences and Gates page for more information.

How do I get a noise exemption permit?

Noise exemption permits can be obtained from the Clerk’s department. Your application form should be completed and returned to the Clerk’s department at least 30 days before the scheduled event or activity takes place. Visit the Noise by-law page for more details.

Can my renovation contractor put a sign up?

The sign by-law permits one sign with a maximum size of 0.37 square metres (4 feet 2 inches) and can only be displayed during the time period that work is happening or for a total of 14 consecutive days (whichever is less).

I want a sign for my business. Do I need a permit?

Most signs in Oakville require a permit to ensure safety and compliance with the sign by-law. If you want a portable (mobile) sign or a permanent (fixed) sign, visit the sign page.

I rent a room from my landlord with two other people. Should the rental accommodations be licensed?

The town’s licensing by-law identifies lodging house licensing requirements.

Are driving schools allowed to teach students on my street?

The Town of Oakville Licensing By-law 2015-075 prohibits driving school instruction in the DriveTest examination areas, review the Driving school training on Oakville roads – Information for residents guide (pdf) for more details.

Contact Enforcement Services

For more information, or to file a complaint, contact Enforcement Services:

Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.