Business Licensing

Many businesses in Oakville require a licence. We licence trades such as building renovators, HVAC installers and plumbing contracting companies, personal service establishments (which include hair salons, tattoo parlours, and spas), motor vehicle service related facilities, and food shops.

The Regional Municipality of Halton requires certain businesses to be inspected for health reasons including, but not limited to personal services and food shops. Find out more information on obtaining a certificate of compliance with the Health Protection and Promotion Act by visiting the Halton Region website, contact them directly at 905-825-6000, or dial 311.

Do you run your own business? Big or small, with workers or without, you may require a licence and will need to be informed about WSIB coverage. Find out what it means for you by visiting the WSIB Ontario website.

Upcoming changes

If you are an arborist or own a tree or arboricultural company you will be required to obtain a licence for 2018 for any work in Oakville. For more information please visit the Arborist Licensing By-law page.

Do you rent out a room in your home? Visit the short term accommodation licensing page to find out more information on the licensing requirements for short term rentals in Oakville.

Licensing By-law 2015-075

Licensing By-law 2015-075 is the by-law that allows us to license and regulate various businesses in the Town of Oakville. Holding a valid business licence is vital to ensure businesses follow by-law regulations and limitations, providing consumer protection.

Contact Us

Phone: 905-845-6601