Town of Oakville looking to commission an artist to create the 2024 Community Spirit Awards

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

The Oakville Community Spirit Awards are presented annually to individuals, organizations, businesses, and community groups that have demonstrated ongoing leadership, dedication, and involvement in Oakville through volunteer efforts or acts of kindness. 

Each year, one local artist is commissioned to create a total of eight unique, one-of-a-kind artworks. These artworks are to be given to award recipients (one extra created in the event of a tie), and one artwork will be added to the town's permanent art collection. The commissioned artworks should be individual pieces reflective of each of the six award categories.

Apply today!

Fill out the online form today. The application deadline is January 15, 2024. Selected artists will be contacted in February 2024. If you have questions, email

Artist availability

The successful artist must be available to attend the celebration event in June for the presentation of the awards. Additionally, they should be available for filming in either March or April (to be determined) for an artist video produced by the town, which will be showcased at the award celebration.


Artists ages 18 years or older who live in or have strong connections to Oakville, which includes those who live, work, or engage in activities in the Halton-GTA region, will be considered. Applicants who have previously created a Community Spirit Award are not eligible to apply.

Artwork requirements

Artworks must be one-of-a-kind and not reproductions. We will consider artworks created in any of the following mediums: wood, painting, drawing, fibre arts, ceramic, metal, and/or glass. If the artwork is on paper, it must be framed. Artwork dimensions should not exceed 12” x 12” x 12”. Digital art will not be accepted.

Artist selection

A selection committee will review applications and select one artist for 2024, and one artist for 2025. The selected artists will enter into a contract with the Town of Oakville. 

Past artists include:

  • Donna Funnell – Fibre arts
  • Soyeon Kim – Dioramas (pen and ink drawings, and watercolour on paper) 
  • Thomas Suh – Pottery
  • Joseph Bauman and Dayna Gedney  – Wood bowls
  • Emily Soden – Watercolour paintings
  • Katie Fortier - Silk paintings
  • Aiden Quinn – Paintings
  • Kara Bruce – Limestone carvings
  • Rafia Shafiq - Embroidery

Artist commission fee

The artist commissioning fee of $3,500 CAD includes all materials, artist fees and taxes for the creation of the eight awards. Payment will be made in two installments: 80 per cent of total fee at start for materials and remaining 20 per cent when artworks arrive on site.

Visit the Community Spirit Awards page to learn about the awards.