Non-residential Additions and Alterations

A guide to preparing your non-residential additions and alterations building permit application.

An addition is defined as adding to an existing building. If you plan an addition that requires substantial removal of the existing building, you will require a separate demolition permit.

Before preparing your permit

Some approvals and permits must be in place before you start preparing your building permit application.

Additional permits or documentation may be required for your project:

  • If you are proposing modifications to the site servicing or installing new services, a separate site servicing permit is required. Contact or 905-845-6601 ext 7377

  • If adding new connections at the street, a Halton Regional services permit is required. Learn more at Halton Region permits. 

  • If changing the use or occupancy of the space, a zoning certificate of occupancy is required.

Project preparation

Detailed information is required to properly evaluate your plans and the unique conditions of your property or unit.

Before you get started, consult the zoning by-law to ensure your proposed plans for the unit are permitted under the Town of Oakville's zoning by-laws which regulate the use, shape and location of buildings on properties. 

If changing the use or occupancy of the building or unit, a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy is required. 

Learn more about zoning in Oakville or contact us at 905-845-6601 ext. 3955.

If you are adding gross floor area to an existing building or changing the use of the building, development charges may apply. A non-residential development charge form (pdf) will need to be submitted so the town, region and school boards can review the scope of work and determine if charges apply. Development charges must be paid prior to building permit issuance. If a demolition is involved or an industrial building is being expanded, exemptions may apply. Learn more about development charges and current rates.

If your project is deemed to be substantial redevelopment, then Planning approval is required. Typically, site plan approval is initiated prior to applying for a building permit. 

If you are opening a daycare centre, site plan approval may be required. Learn more about planning applications or contact

If planning alterations to the fire route, please contact

If your property is in a designated conservation area, contact Conservation Halton for approval at or 905-336-1158. Learn more about conservation-related permitting and planning.

In certain instances, approvals from additional agencies are required.

  • Halton Region: Business owners or operators are required to notify Halton Region Public Health when they are planning to open to the public, reopen (seasonal), undergo renovations or change in operation and/or services provided to the public including food premises, personal services setting, class A&B pools and tobacco/vapour product retailers. For more information visit Halton Region Public Health Notification of Business Opening, Reopening & Renovation.
  • Ministry of Environment approval: If your project changes the use of the building or unit to a more sensitive use you will need to provide a record of site condition from the Ministry of the Environment. An example of a change to a more sensitive use is proposing a daycare centre in a former industrial unit. 
  • Ministry of Education approval: If your project is for a daycare centre, Montessori school or private school you will need to provide a letter of approval from the Ministry of Education.
  • Ministry of Long-Term Care approval: If your project is for a long-term care facility, you will need to provide a letter of approval from the Ministry of Long-Term Care.
  • Ministry of Transportation approval: If your property is located close to a major highway as indicated in the MTO designated areas map you will require Ministry of Transportation approval.

Other considerations

Demolition activities may be eligible  for a reduction in property tax assessment under Section 357 of the Municipal Act which provides municipalities with the authority to cancel, reduce  or refund taxes based on specific criteria.

If you think you are eligible to apply for a property tax adjustment please complete the Application for Cancellation/ Reduction/Refund of Taxes under Section 357 form (pdf) and send to

Deadline for submission is the last day of February, the year following the issuance of a demolition permit. A $20.00 fee will apply. Learn more about property tax assessments