A building permit is required for solar panel installation when the accumulated face area is greater than or equal to five meters square (approximately 54 feet squared).
Detailed information is required to properly evaluate your plans and the unique conditions of your property or unit.
An engineer is required to assess the building structure that the solar panels will be installed upon.
For electrical work, contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233 or email email@example.com.
Heritage approval is required if you plan to install the solar panels on a heritage designated property. Learn more about heritage planning.
Demolition activities may be eligible for a reduction in property tax assessment under Section 357 of the Municipal Act which provides municipalities with the authority to cancel, reduce or refund taxes based on specific criteria.
If you think you are eligible to apply for a property tax adjustment please complete the Application for Cancellation/ Reduction/Refund of Taxes under Section 357 form (pdf) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission is the last day of February, the year following the issuance of a demolition permit. A $20.00 fee will apply. Learn more about property tax assessments.
Prepare the following documents:
- Roof plan indicating proposed panel locations
- Panel specifications
- Engineer's assessment and design, including connection details
- Commitment to general review (pdf)
- Heritage approval, if applicable to your property
- Building Permits & Inspections
- Construction Projects
- Non-residential Interior Alterations
- Non-residential Additions and Alterations
- Non-residential New Construction
- Non-residential Demolition
- Temporary Tents and Garden Centres
- Shelf and Rack Storage System
- Part 3 New Residential Construction
- Part 3 Residential Addition and Alteration
- Part 3 Residential Alteration
- Site Servicing
- Solar Panel Installation
- Rates & Fees
Ready for a permit?
You can submit your building permit application online.
Contact Building Services:
905-845-6601 ext. 7377
Build smart. Build safe. Build with a permit.