A part 3 residential building consists of more than three storeys or is greater than 600 m2.
Before preparing your permit
Some approvals and permits must be in place before you start preparing your building permit application.
Additional permits and documentation may be required before preparing your building permit application, including:
Site plan approval: You must submit an application for site plan approval before applying for a building permit.
Demolition permit: If there is an existing building on your site, you will require a separate demolition permit. A demolition permit is a type of building permit.
Site servicing permit: If you are proposing modifications to the site servicing or installing new services, a separate site servicing permit is required. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-845-6601 ext 7377
Halton Region services permit: If adding new connections at the street, a Halton Region services permit is required. Learn more at Halton Region permits.
Detailed information is required to properly evaluate your plans and the unique conditions of your property or unit:
Before you get started, consult the zoning by-law to ensure your proposed plans for the unit are permitted under the Town of Oakville's zoning by-laws which regulate the use, shape and location of buildings on properties. Anytime there is a change of use for the building or unit, a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy is required.
Development charges will apply to the construction of most new homes. If a structure has been demolished on the same lot, you may be eligible for a development charge credit. Development charges will vary based on the type of home constructed (single or semi-detached, townhouses, apartments). Rates for townhouses and apartments also vary based on the number of bedrooms included.
Learn more about development charges, including current rates.
If your property is in a designated conservation area, contact Conservation Halton for approval at email@example.com or 905-336-1158. Learn more about conservation-related permitting and planning.
In certain instances, approvals from additional agencies are required.
- Halton Region: A Halton Region services permit is required.
- Ministry of Transportation: If your property is located close to a major highway as indicated in the MTO designated areas map you will require Ministry of Transportation approval.
Demolition activities may be eligible for a reduction in property tax assessment under Section 357 of the Municipal Act which provides municipalities with the authority to cancel, reduce or refund taxes based on specific criteria.
If you think you are eligible to apply for a property tax adjustment please complete the Application for Cancellation/ Reduction/Refund of Taxes under Section 357 form (pdf) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission is the last day of February, the year following the issuance of a demolition permit. A $20.00 fee will apply. Learn more about property tax assessments.
Digital copies of drawings and documents are required, scaled to size and flattened. Typically, an engineer and architect are retained for the project.
Prepare the following documents:
- Site plan
- OBC matrix
- Architectural drawings
- Structural drawings
- Geotechnical calculations or a sub soil declaration (pdf)
- Mechanical drawings
- Plumbing drawings - if modified
- SB-10 forms (pdf) with supporting documents and calculations
- Sprinkler layout and hydraulic calculations - if modified
- Fire alarm system - if modified
- Commitment to general review (pdf)
- Approval from other agencies - if applicable to your project and due to prior issuance
- Development finance sign-off, including payments of fees and charges - if applicable to your project and due to prior issuance
- Building Permits & Inspections
- Construction Projects
- Non-residential Interior Alterations
- Non-residential Additions and Alterations
- Non-residential New Construction
- Non-residential Demolition
- Temporary Tents and Garden Centres
- Shelf and Rack Storage System
- Part 3 New Residential Construction
- Part 3 Residential Addition and Alteration
- Part 3 Residential Alteration
- Site Servicing
- Solar Panel Installation
- Rates & Fees
Ready for a permit?
You can submit your building permit application online.
Contact Building Services:
905-845-6601 ext. 7377
Build smart. Build safe. Build with a permit.