Detailed information is required to properly evaluate your plans and the unique conditions of your property or unit:
Verify that your plans, proposed dimensions and location are permitted under the Town of Oakville's zoning by-laws which regulate the use, shape and location of structures on properties.
If your shelf or racking system includes walkable area, development charges may apply. A non-residential development charge form (pdf) will need to be submitted so the town, region and schoolboards can review the scope of work and determine if charges apply. Development charges must be paid prior to building permit issuance. Learn more about development charges, including current rates.
Digital copies of drawings and documents are required, scaled to size and flattened. Typically, an engineer or architect is retained for the project.
Prepare the following documents:
- Floor plan indicating racking system location within the building
- Engineered drawings of racking system
- Engineered drawings of concrete slab or foundation supporting the racking system including connection details
- Mechanical drawings, if applicable to your project
- Sprinkler layout, if applicable to your project
- Commitment to general review (pdf)
- Building Permits & Inspections
- Construction Projects
- Non-residential Interior Alterations
- Non-residential Additions and Alterations
- Non-residential New Construction
- Non-residential Demolition
- Temporary Tents and Garden Centres
- Shelf and Rack Storage System
- Part 3 New Residential Construction
- Part 3 Residential Addition and Alteration
- Part 3 Residential Alteration
- Site Servicing
- Solar Panel Installation
- Rates & Fees
Ready for a permit?
You can submit your building permit application online.
Contact Building Services:
905-845-6601 ext. 7377
Build smart. Build safe. Build with a permit.